Safari is hosed - simply will not open

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by CTU Kyoto, Jan 15, 2008.

1. CTU Kyoto macrumors member

CTU Kyoto

I've seen people on the forum who have wireless problems and bookmark syncing problems, as well as problems with Safari crashing while playing music. However, I haven't found a solution to my problem.

One day, Safari stopped working. When I select the icon from the Home screen it loads up to a blank page with the buttons, and that's it - the iPod is instantly frozen, I can't touch any of the buttons or the location bar in Safari, and the Home button doesn't work when either pressed once to return to the Home screen, or held down to quit the crashed application. (This used to work when Safari would freeze up on trying to load a huge page or whatever.) My only option is to hold the power and Home buttons together to restart the iPod.

Suggested fixes will no doubt include checking my wireless network, restarting the iPod, resetting the iPod, restoring it from iTunes, deleting all content/settings from the iPod settings, clearing all Safari caches etc in the Safari settings.

Well, it's definitely not a wireless problem - I was always able to use the Youtube app and iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, and I just got the 1.1.3 firmware and January Software Upgrade (I don't think Apple owes me free upgrades for life... but that's a different issue!) and am able to use Mail, Maps, Stocks and Weather perfectly.

I have also tried all the other remedies mentioned to no avail. I had been hoping that the 1.1.3 firmware would solve the problem, but alas it didn't.

I had been syncing bookmarks from Safari on my Mac (10.5.1), and I think that when Safari first starting refusing to load I unchecked that box in iTunes to see if the problem was fixed (I have quite a few bookmarks so I thought the large number was bogging Safari down). Not only was the problem not fixed, but now any time I try to check the bookmark sync box with or without checking the "replace bookmarks on iPod for this sync only" box, the sync fails to complete and the iPod freezes on the "Sync in Progress - slide to cancel" screen (the animation of the "slide to cancel" text freezes too). iTunes also freezes at this point until I physically remove the iPod from its Dock.

I haven't ever jailbroken or hacked the iPod. And sadly I wasn't using Safari often enough to pinpoint the exact time the problem started...

I'm at my wits' end here. Can anyone help? If it was a normal Mac application I'd love to just trash the .plist file and start over but I don't know how to do that on a non-hacked iPod touch.

2. dagored macrumors 65816

Try this:

Delete the files from the following folder and reconnect your iPod.

~/Libary/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/TheNameOfYouriPod/

Don't delete your iPod's folder... delete the files that are inside it.

3. CTU Kyoto thread starter macrumors member

CTU Kyoto

Thanks for the advice, dagored, but I had already tried that after seeing it in another forum or thread. At the time there were a huge number of files in that folder so I had hopes that it would work, but sadly after trying again just now Safari is still behaving the same way as before. :(