Safari is NOT behaving.

brap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
OK, so this has me completely stumped. I'd like some of you guys to test it out, because my system has a whole bunch of fonts disabled, for a start (don't ask).

This page: http://www.postersbyemail.com/instantimages-devel/index.php?p=se - and indeed, the rest of the site, has safari completely stuck for finding the CSS file. It just doesn't find it, and renders it as plain text. Works fine in FF and IE 5.2 Mac, I assume it degrades at least vaguely gracefully elsewhere, but if it doesn't, I don't care.

Bonus: this allows the testing of text-only rendering quite well, so I assume it looks fairly kickass in Lynx ;) Kinda confusing, otherwise.

For reference, the site validates to XHTML 1.0 strict. Another caveat; ignore the GFX. They're going to be overhauled as soon as I have enough system RAM to handle Photoshop.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Fuquay Varina, NC
You are certain its not a cacheing problem?

I have had difficulty sometimes with Safari caching pages, even though I am using safari enhancer.

Source looks fine to me :confused:

brap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
kingjr3 said:
You are certain its not a cacheing problem?

I have had difficulty sometimes with Safari caching pages, even though I am using safari enhancer.

Source looks fine to me :confused:
Absotively posolutely sure, I think it's an issue with Safari fonts. Perhaps it's finding my CSS font fall-back options, seeing they're not in Font Book and spazzing out. *shrug*

I had to enable Monaco just to see source code, for the love of.

Does it render alright on your Safari? I've tried rendering the site in Safari under a different login, same result. Will post a screeny as soon as Graphic Converter starts up, life with 256MB is not fun.

Edit: here's the screeny from the other login. The image is being rendered in page-specific CSS code, and not in the external file, hence the belief it's there the problem lies.

Attachments

brap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
kingjr3 said:
Not at mac at the moment, but I wonder if this might be the problem?
I've used the same catch-all opacity thing a few times, and it's never affected Safari previously. The moz-opacity filter is the one Safari understands, I believe... a temporary fix until CSS3 is implemented. I'll have a try though, cheers.

edit: damnit, the transparency is the problem! I just commented it out, and it renders fine... thanks!

Damn confusing how (a) it refuses to parse anything after, and (b) how it's never happened before.

edit 2: It's because I was trailing a * on one of the lines. Safari obviously decided that meant the rest of the file was a comment. I'll get me coat.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It's not working properly on my system either. Unfortunately I have very little technical experience with this sort of thing :(

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Fuquay Varina, NC
brap said:
I've used the same catch-all opacity thing a few times, and it's never affected Safari previously. The moz-opacity filter is the one Safari understands, I believe... a temporary fix until CSS3 is implemented. I'll have a try though, cheers.

edit: damnit, the transparency is the problem! I just commented it out, and it renders fine... thanks!

Damn confusing how (a) it refuses to parse anything after, and (b) how it's never happened before.

edit 2: It's because I was trailing a * on one of the lines. Safari obviously decided that meant the rest of the file was a comment. I'll get me coat.

Moral of this story...

When in doubt....VALIDATE ;)

brap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Rower_CPU said:
Words to live..er...code by. :)
Ah, but y'see, I was expecting the CSS validator to shout at me - I'm using non-standard attributes - and it just so happened the wandering asterisk ended up there!
Therefore, even if I had validated earlier I'd just have skipped right over the error, 'cause it wasn't meant to validate anyway!

I'm sure there's a moral there..

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Fuquay Varina, NC
brap said:
Ah, but y'see, I was expecting the CSS validator to shout at me - I'm using non-standard attributes - and it just so happened the wandering asterisk ended up there!
Therefore, even if I had validated earlier I'd just have skipped right over the error, 'cause it wasn't meant to validate anyway!

I'm sure there's a moral there..
Yes, read what the validator is telling you ; )

ALSO, don't use non-standard attributes, as you can't verify that those will be supported forever.

Just hammer it home in your minds...STANDARDS STANDARDS STANDARDS - especially if you don't know what browser your audience is using. Corporate applications can get away with non-standards (althought I don't like it) since they control the browsers that are part of their standard desktop.

brap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
kingjr3 said:
Yes, read what the validator is telling you ; )
Heheh, that's the one!
ALSO, don't use non-standard attributes, as you can't verify that those will be supported forever.
This is why I'm using the (now redundant, but future-proof) CSS3 version, along with the evil mozilla and ie hacks ;)

Side: it's been so long since I did PHP-Javascript interaction. I'd forgotten just how confusing it gets when eval("'ing some' + <?php code.with ?>"+ all + "'those' bloody"); quotes and parentheses. Humbug...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.