Safari is out of control

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aaronvan, Jan 13, 2017.

1. aaronvan, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Safari is going crazy, sucking-up memory and CPU like there's no tomorrow. Doesn't seem to matter what other apps I'm running. It works fin for a few minutes then goes nuts. Battery life is barely an hour. Chrome and Firefox both work fine. Anyone else having these kind of issues?

2011 MBA, MacOS 10.12.2

cpu.jpeg mem.jpeg memII.jpeg hog.jpeg

EDIT: I dragged ~/Library/Safari folder into the trash and reopened Safari. Maybe that will work.

Attached Files:

2. HDFan macrumors 6502a

I've seen this occasionally, where a MacRumors tab took up 32 GB giving me the "out of application memory" error, even though I showed free memory on my 64 GB system. It's a long shot, but have you tried:

1. Safari/Clear History
    2. Safari/Preferences/Privacy remove all website data

Just now I had 1132. I had to "remove all", hit "done", and reopen the removal panel multiple times until I got down to 39 which simply would not go. I then had to go to ~/Library/Safari/Databases to delete the folders manually.

3. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

My ~/Library/Safari/Databases only had one (empty) folder in it, which I just deleted. I'mm report back if it helps.

4. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

Other things to try :

Disable all extensions and plug-ins; test. If better, reenable one at a time to find the culprit.

Enable the Develop menu in the Safari menu bar: Safari -> Preferences -> Advanced -> at bottom of pane, tick "Show Develop menu in menu bar". After that, click what you just added to Safari's menu bar --"Develop"-- and select "Empty Caches" from the dropdown. Test.

Boot into Safe Mode and test; then reboot into normal mode and test. Safe mode has more benefits other than preventing certain startup and login items from automatically loading.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Create a clean, stock user account for testing purposes to check if it's just "your account" that's having the issue.

5. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I have notice that certain webpages remain in loading mode (the icon in the right of the address bar remains an 'X'). That might have something to do with it.

6. Bart Kela Suspended

Bart Kela

I suggest you delete all Safari cookies and reboot.

7. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

The 10.12.3 update may have fixed this issue. Been on for almost an hour and no race condition yet.

8. zaaach48 macrumors regular

zaaach48

Haven't had the issue personally but something like this is usually a runaway extension or something...are you on a new MacBook pro? maybe it is this bug: http://www.macrumors.com/2017/01/10/consumer-reports-mbp-battery-safari-bug/

which was resolved in recent OS update apparently