Safari is Slow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hanguolaohu, Mar 18, 2008.

1. hanguolaohu macrumors regular

I just bought a brand new Macbook Pro 2.6ghz with 4GB of ram. I'm running Time Warner 10mbps internet but for whatever reason my Safari v3.1 seems slow. I'm used to Firefox, so I did a small informal test to see if I was psychologically tricking myself:

SAFARI:
    1. Startup with google homepage: 4secs.
    2. Google search for "wikipedia": 2 secs.
    3. Open www.wikipedia.org from Google: 25 secs
    4. Load Yahoo mail login page: 1 sec.
    5. Login to Yahoo mail: 4 secs

SAFARI:
    1. Startup with google homepage: 5 secs.
    2. Google search for "wikipedia": 1 sec.
    3. Open www.wikipedia.org from Google: 7 secs
    4. Load Yahoo mail login page: 1 sec.
    5. Login to Yahoo mail: 3 secs.

The killer for me is opening a page like wikipedia which takes 25 seconds to load on Safari vs. 7 seconds using Firefox. But once wikipedia is loaded into Safari, links within that website load instantly. My computer is new so there's not that much data in the cache to slow it down. Is it a Safari problem, a Time Warner problem, or my mac problem?

Thanks,
    Alexander

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Both say Safari

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

So your standard is how long it takes you to reach Wikipedia from Google? Well, here is one that will have you up all night. In my informal test, Safari 3.1 required 3 seconds to reach Wikipedia from Google :rolleyes:

5. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

Immediately after updating Safari to 3.1 I noticed that it was taking 20-30 secs to go to different sites. After about 20 minutes it was back to normal where I am pulling up almost any site in under 5 sec.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've got 4 seconds from Google to Wikipedia on Safari 3.1

7. FetalSage macrumors regular

I got 1 second going to Wikipedia from Google. (Hell even less)

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I agree with the OP...

since I've been testing Safari 3.1 for about 2 weeks prior to its' release today. I found the "dreaded beach ball" appearing on almost every page and when I would try to scroll up or down, it was delayed by about 5-10 seconds. I also found a minimum of about 2-3 crashes per hour, which is extremely frustrating. Though I sent "reports" on every crash, I really feel cheated! I've been a Safari Fan from day one, but there are more bugs with 3.1 than I have ever seen since using Safari. I'm hoping there's another update soon, to address my "reports" but I'm very disappointed! :( Two Thumbs DOWN!:confused: