Safari is very unstable when opening PDFs!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 66217, Nov 23, 2007.

1. 66217 Guest

So, almost anytime I open a PDF Safari crashes.:mad:
    And the only solution is to force quit it. I have already installed the Adobe reader and everything, but still, most of the times it would crash.

Is this happening to anyone else? Is there a solution?

I haven't had any major bug using Leopard, but this is just driving me crazy, any help is appreciated.

2. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

weird. multiple leopard installs here including client and server on PPC and Intel and I open pdfs all the time on them. I usually click the open in preview icon after it opens in safari but some times I just read it in safari. Either way. I have not had safari crash once. In fact, I have not had safari crash once since GM? I am searching my memory to be sure but I believe that is true. Not once. Currently 70 tabs open.

3. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Not happening here. Safari opens PDFs just fine. Sorry I can't back you up.

4. Alloye macrumors 6502a

No problems here. I've viewed quite a few PDFs in Safari.

5. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Yeah no problem here but on certain pages (JBC and Nature) when I hit print button of the safari instead of the one in pdf it crashes. I can reproduce it every time on some papers. I have no clue what is the reason of that behavior.

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

Adobe Reader? OS X can read PDFs out of the box, there is no need for adobe reader. In fact, that may be causing the problem.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yeah, my Safari in Leopard works perfectly with PDF's. It's way redundant installing Adobe Reader when we have Preview. Preview is actually so much better, faster and offers so much more than Adobe's bloated plug-in reader. OS X is PDF based so unless you need professional editing tools present in Adobe Acrobat Pro there's no need for Reader.
    This is just one of the things I love about OS X, because it's PDF based and not reliant on Adobe like Windows is.

8. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

That thing must be leaking memory like 100 megs/sec :eek:

9. 66217 thread starter Guest

You are correct.:)

I uninstalled Adobe and everything is working correctly. Thanks a lot.

10. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I've had the same problem as the OP, but I just downloaded the PDF file and read it offline. I know that Adobe Reader is redundant, but I never bothered getting rid of it until now.