Safari isn't snappy

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sensa, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Sensa, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

Sensa macrumors newbie

my mother has a newer iMac running 10.8.5 complete updated. The ISP connection is rated at 20mb download speed through speedtest.net over her wi-fi connection.

The problem is that Safari is loading pages extremely slowly (at dial up speeds) often taking 10-15 seconds to load pages like cnn and ny times. Even then it won't fully load the pages (i.e. cnn's stock market ticker won't completely load). Any pages involving plug-ins basically won't load at all.

I downloaded Firefox and, initially at least, it was loading the exact same pages 20 times as fast.

Called Apple and as per their instructions restarted computer in safe mode and then later reset pram but all to no avail. Their final suggestion was to reload Lion or upgrade to Mavericks.

Was wondering if anyone has any idea what the source of the problem could be and if there is any other alternative to fix it besides reloading 10.8.5 or upgrading to mav.

thanks in advance.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I'm using 10.8.5(which is Mountain Lion, not Lion), Safari 6.0.5 with a 3Meg(max, usually 2 - 2.5) and the CNN page has just loaded more or less instantly.

Try resetting Safari via the Menubar, Safari>Reset Safari...

3. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You might try updating Safari to 6.1.