Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Ever since updating to the new macOS I've experienced nothing but issues with Safari...

I keep getting two errors at the top of my pages...

There was an error on the page...
Using too much energy...

Often times Safari will either freeze or just quit. I've tried resetting PRAM, clearing history/cache... Still having considerable issues.

Pennypacker83

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2010
Yes! I thought I was the only one. Safari is completely unusable at the moment -- videos stop playing, the browser keeps freezing and all tabs show empty, unable to load pages or type in the Google search box, etc. I get the "This webpage was reloaded because a problem occurred" error message.But then again I can type this message, even though I'm experiencing this very same issue right now. I noticed the freezing usually starts while watching YouTube videos. Also, this goes beyond Safari. Right now, I cannot watch YouTube videos on any browser -- Safari, Firefox or Chrome -- they all freeze and show the beachball. Restarting will fix it for a few minutes, until it starts again. I had no issues before, all began right after the most recent update, which included updates to Safari, among others. It is very clear that Apple has f*cked it up once again. To put it simply -- I can no longer trust this POS.

Last edited:

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
I’m being told that the errors, crashing, and reloading happens when you visit websites made by Wix. Brutal. ‍♂️

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
Yes! I thought I was the only one. Safari is completely unusable at the moment -- videos stop playing, the browser keeps freezing and all tabs show empty, unable to load pages or type in the Google search box, etc. I get the "This webpage was reloaded because a problem occurred" error message.But then again I can type this message, even though I'm experiencing this very same issue right now. I noticed the freezing usually starts while watching YouTube videos. Also, this goes beyond Safari. Right now, I cannot watch YouTube videos on any browser -- Safari, Firefox or Chrome -- they all freeze and show the beachball. Restarting will fix it for a few minutes, until it starts again. I had no issues before, all began right after the most recent update, which included updates to Safari, among others. It is very clear that Apple has f*cked it up once again. To put it simply -- I can no longer trust this POS.
??????????????????????? With Safari now...you can launch it and go make coffee...by the time the coffee is done.....the browser is open....what a unique feature.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
??????????????????????? With Safari now...you can launch it and go make coffee...by the time the coffee is done.....the browser is open....what a unique feature.

Apple is absolutely struggling these days... Do you think their intentions are to push us all to more powerful Windows 10 machines? That way they can concentrate on making mobile devices and kid products?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
No...just geeks in cupertino with no sense of logic....

Their software seems to be in beta forever these days with little to no improvements... Every day I think about pulling the trigger on a PC... I just don't want to deal with it.

Reactions: Pennypacker83

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I’d recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox (if you really want to) until Apple fixes this. I’ve used Google Chrome for years and love it.
[doublepost=1523201479][/doublepost]
Apple is absolutely struggling these days... Do you think their intentions are to push us all to more powerful Windows 10 machines? That way they can concentrate on making mobile devices and kid products?
I mean when I think Apple I immediately think iPhones and iPod Touches, Macs are one of their successful products as well, but imo they’re going more towards their phones.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
I’d recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox (if you really want to) until Apple fixes this. I’ve used Google Chrome for years and love it.
[doublepost=1523201479][/doublepost]
I mean when I think Apple I immediately think iPhones and iPod Touches, Macs are one of their successful products as well, but imo they’re going more towards their phones.

Yup, stuck using Chrome for now... Sucks, because nothing syncs with my iPhone/iPad... I really like how Safari works overall... Until this last update. Crippled it.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Yup, stuck using Chrome for now... Sucks, because nothing syncs with my iPhone/iPad... I really like how Safari works overall... Until this last update. Crippled it.
True. I wish Chrome would sync with my iPhone :p. Oh well

I’ve always preferred Chrome over Safari, on my Mac atleast. On my phone it’s Safari any day.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Also, after the update, my Mac no longer goes to sleep... Horrible.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
True. I wish Chrome would sync with my iPhone :p. Oh well

I’ve always preferred Chrome over Safari, on my Mac atleast. On my phone it’s Safari any day.
I am pretty sure there is a Chrome iCloud extention that can do this for you. I know for a fact there is one for Chrome Windows. I use it at work, see:
Capture.JPG

Reactions: TheSkywalker77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Safari was struggling with websites created with Wix... However, Wix fixed their code, so everything is back to "normal". Safari cannot download a PDF from my Google Drive though... Need to switch to Chrome for that... Hand to face.

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
Safari was struggling with websites created with Wix... However, Wix fixed their code, so everything is back to "normal". Safari cannot download a PDF from my Google Drive though... Need to switch to Chrome for that... Hand to face.

I never had any issues on Wix websites, or any of the other Safari issues mentioned in this thread for that matter. Have you tried the Technology Preview or a nightly build to see if your issues still exist in the latest builds?

Tech Preview: https://developer.apple.com/safari/download/
Nightly: Build Archives

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
I
I never had any issues on Wix websites, or any of the other Safari issues mentioned in this thread for that matter. Have you tried the Technology Preview or a nightly build to see if your issues still exist in the latest builds?

Tech Preview: https://developer.apple.com/safari/download/
Nightly: Build Archives

I haven't had any issues since Wix said it fixed their code... My iPhone still reloads sites once in awhile...

I never had good luck with those nightly builds.

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
I

I haven't had any issues since Wix said it fixed their code... My iPhone still reloads sites once in awhile...

I never had good luck with those nightly builds.

Perhaps there's some corrupt cache issues or a rogue default written that's causing these performance issues. I've never had issues on any device with Wix-produced sites at any point.

My MacBook Pro has also never experienced the issue sleeping with Safari. Sounds like there's something causing it in some specific scenarios then.

skelmi

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2018
Helsinki
I haven’t had any problems with Safari so far. The only thing that annoys me is that the password autofill has been removed :(

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
I haven’t had any problems with Safari so far. The only thing that annoys me is that the password autofill has been removed :(

It's not completely removed. You just need to click a username or password field for it to present the option. I suppose it was seen as a security vulnerability with having it fill the fields out without user interaction before the update (even if the fields weren't visible to users). I guess perhaps an ad service or something could inject the fields and get Safari to autofill the fields without us even being aware.

skelmi

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2018
Helsinki
It's not completely removed. You just need to click a username or password field for it to present the option. I suppose it was seen as a security vulnerability with having it fill the fields out without user interaction before the update (even if the fields weren't visible to users). I guess perhaps an ad service or something could inject the fields and get Safari to autofill the fields without us even being aware.
Yea I know, it just takes more time logging in, which is what annoys me, thats all :D

Macaman

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2014
My late 2016 MBP has been working perfectly before 10.13.4. But after I installed the update, safari has been causing beachballing, so that different safari tabs freeze and I have to more then often force restart, or force shutdown the whole damn computer to resolve the issues.

I am very disappointed with this update.....

Reactions: Pennypacker83
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.