Safari issues.....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by edcoche, Jan 4, 2008.

1. edcoche macrumors regular

edcoche

This is a simple issue but an issue nonetheless. For some reason that I do not understand safari had stopped remembering my settings in direct regard to the status bar and window size. I have always had it hidden and now randomly (after owning the machine for 1 1/2 months) when I open a new window or tab it appears at the bottom of the screen. About 40% of this time this happens. It's getting to be pretty annoying. All I have to do is press "cmd /" for it to disappear but hey, this is a mac, isn't it supposed to "just work"? Also, I like to have my safari window take up the whole screen with the exception of the dock and sometimes (about 35% of the time) when I open a new window it covers the screen but appears about 1/2 an inch above the dock. Thus making me have to grab on the bottom right section and pull the window down 1/2 an inch for viewing as I prefer it to be.

Why is this happening all of the sudden? These issues are driving me crazy!
    Any and all advice/insight is always very much appreciated. Thx in advance.

-Ed

2. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

not quite sure why this might be happening, but one suggestion would be to open safari, pull the safari window to the size you want, then command + N to open a new window and hopefully it opens the way you want it to display. If it doesn't, try pulling the new window the same way and load a third new window. That should fix it, if I understand your question correctly that is. To test, quit safari and then open it up and hopefully it works as you want.

3. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Could be faulty preference file at play. If it is, then moving com.apple.Safari.plist and a relaunch of Sfari will cure it.

4. edcoche thread starter macrumors regular

edcoche

I'm not quite sure how to perform this task. This sounds like the cure--if I only knew how to execute it.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Use Spotlight to find com.apple.Safari.plist in the Preferences folder. Quit Safari, drag this file to the Trash and reopen Safari. :)

6. edcoche thread starter macrumors regular

edcoche

when I did that I got nothing, so I did a search for "plist" only and these were the results:

[​IMG]

Are any of these what I am looking for??

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mate, please do not bump your thread.

Have you tried opening a new user account and seeing if Safari works normally there? Did you ever reset Safari? Do you have any third party plugins associated with Safari? :)

8. edcoche thread starter macrumors regular

edcoche

Sorry about the bump, I just hadn't had any suggestions/tips in awhile and I figured that if I bring the subject up again maybe a user that was not on the forums when the thread was moving could see the question I had and assist me. No, I have not tried opening a new user account. I could try that but that doesn't seem like something that I should have to do, but should I anyways??

As for reseting Safari, if I were to do that then wouldn't I loose everything in regards to my history and bookmarks? I have a lot of important websites bookmarked and to have to spend the time re-booking them all would take forever and I am sure I would forget some of the addresses which would be hard to find again.

About the 3rd party plugins, I recently installed some updated flash drivers from Adobe's website. Awhile ago I think I installed some divx drivers, I'm not sure if they apply towards Safari though. Regardless, they were installed and running long before these random status bar appearances began. I just don't understand why the bar keeps popping up all of the sudden. I mean, when I use Safari I have a tendency to have multiple windows and tabs open but I rarely "show" the status bar unless I want to see the address "path" where a link leads. I just keeps appearing for no particular reason.

Where can I manually locate that Safari preference settings file so I can delete it and then let Safari create a new one for itself?? If that'd solve the problem at hand.

9. Frisco macrumors 68020

Your Safari Preference file is located here: Home (the little house with your name)/Library/preferences/com.apple.safari.plist

I don't know why spotlight isn't finding it.

Also you can reset Safari. It won't delete your bookmarks, however it will delete your history. Your call.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just to add to what pensive old Frisco said, creating a new user account is a common troubleshooting technique designed to determine whether the problem is sourced from the original account's Home folder or whether it is system-wide. :)

11. jnette macrumors member

So how does one open a plist file? With what application? :confused:

12. Frisco macrumors 68020

You don't.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can open it with a text editor (such as TextEdit), but there's not usually any point.