Safari/iTunes freezing problem 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Karpfish, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

Hi, I have a new 13" MBP and recently a problem arose and it is annoying the hell out of me. Pretty often(i'd say once every 30 minutes of web browsing)while doing simple web browing, everything will lock up and I will get the beachball for a solid minute. If iTunes is open and playing when this is going to happen, the music pauses like 3 seconds before everything else freezes. Has anyone ever seen this, and if so do you have a solution? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Have you installed the firmware 1.7 for SATA II, then that is most likely your culprit.

3. Karpfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

4. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

5. Karpfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

ya I just read that thread.....resetting PRAM works only for a little while if at all. Not cool apple.:mad:

6. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Some had the computer running again after setting jumpers on the drive to limit it just SATA I. But that does not set things right, just goes round the issue. Could be something to try. Anyway. If you are not able to use your computer after updating it with an automatic update then see if an exchange for one without the firmware is possible. That is the only real solution right now. You can not undo their firmware upgrades.

Below is a picture for a Seagate harddrive jumper setting.

[​IMG]

7. iyacyas macrumors member

8. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

From Beach Ball Hell - Page 2 - Mac Forums you also have something to try. It's a SMC reset command. See Apple Support Document Apple Portables: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC). I saw that you already know about this thread but the given solution was not a PRAM reset but a SMC reset. Did you try that?

"I reset the PRAM but it did no good.

I called Apple and their solutions solved it!

1) They made me reset my hardware by doing the following:

Turn off your MBP.
    Hold down Shift + Control + Option and then press the power button. The MBP won't do anything - this is normal.
    Release and press the power button and your MBP should boot up as normal.

2) They made me delete my cache, which seems to have solved this issue:

Go to User > Library > Cache and delete everything in that folder, but don't delete the Cache folder itself.
    Empty the trash and reboot."

9. jennyp macrumors 6502

Is that User/Library/Caches ?

Everything in it? Mine's full of important-looking stuff!