Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hertzog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Shortly after updating to 4.2.1, Safari started closing when I visited some of my favorite sites (specifically weatherunderground.com, but others as well). I found that I can get around the problem by disabling JavaScript, but then of course I lose the JavaScript features, so this not a really good solution. I've tried the "usual" tricks (rebooting, etc.); clearing the recent apps may be helping a little, but definitely doesn't correct the problem.

I'm also encountering a problem when accessing certain Wi-Fi hot-spots: The iPad appears to have connected and has a good signal, but when I try to use it I get a message that Safari isn't connected to the internet. This occurred at a mall food court Monday right after the update, and again yesterday at a restaurant; fortunately, my "usual" Wi-Fi connections (my home network, Starbucks and Barnes & Noble) all work fine. as did a 2nd food court I checked. I'm not even sure this a 4.2.1 issue (I've had flacky food court connections before), but having the problem twice in four days after the update seems significant.

Other than that, I've been very happy with the update. Apologies if I'm asking questions that have already been asked and answered; I'm new to the forum - looked around for possible answers and didn't see any, but could easily have missed something.

Hertzog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
*bump*

I'm also having this issue. Found out when loading weather underground.

I reported the problem to wunderground.com last Tuesday, but they haven't gotten back to me on it yet, other than to acnowledge receipt of the report. My gut feel is it's a JavaScript/iOS 4.2.1 conflict, but I don't think I've seen the problem on sites other than wunderground; possibly it's something peculiar to their code causing the conflict.

mlmathews

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
I've confirmed the wunderground crashing Safari after the 4.2.1 update on 3 different iPads (mine, a family members, and a friend's). I happen to use the site regularly, so I noticed the pretty quickly. You usually have to click a link or two in the site to get it to crash, but the crash happens pretty much every time. Every once in a while you can get somewhere in the site without it crashing, but it crashes so often that the frustration makes it not worth bothering. I've had no problems with the mobile/iphone version of the site on my iPhone with the 4.2.1 update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.