Safari keeps crashing; cant download new version or update

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by justinbarrow, Aug 31, 2010.

1. justinbarrow macrumors newbie

i have a G4, serial number qt21106cl3v. i just installed os x 10.2.3. i cant get on fb or any site that uses flash. it says for me to download shockwave. ive tried and it wont install. i tried to download a new browser, like firefox, or another version of safari and i have no luck.

i cant decide whether its a virus or what. i just got the computer from a yard sale and its in excellent condition. i had to reinstall os x though cuz it had no os. any ideas?? you can find additional info by searching for specs through the serial. i have no prior knowledge of macs and am trying to learn quickly. please help before i throw this thing out the window. :)

also, as in the heading, safari keeps crashing when i try to download any kind of new browser, and the auto updates arent working either. HELP!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Safari 5 obviously won't install on a Mac OS X version that old (10.2.x) - it requires 10.5.x or 10.6.x... and your Mac cannot run either of those. Similar situation with Firefox, though there you can upgrade to 10.4.11 and be able to run Firefox 3.6.8 at least.