Safari Keeps Crashing!! Please Give Some Advice!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by calmack87, Aug 18, 2009.

1. calmack87 macrumors newbie

Hi, in the last few months safari has been a total nightmare!!! for some reason when I visit certain pages it loads the page then stops and i get the "beach ball of death" and it just hangs! then resulting in me having to force quit. its getting to be a joke now and I really cant surf the internet very well at all now. I thot maybe it cud have been to do with lack of RAM so I upgraded my iMac to 4GB but still having the problems.

is there something simple I am missing? my memory is running low with only about 50-60GB left but surely that wouldnt effect it?

someone please help!!!

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Try:

1. Perform a 'Reset Safari' within Safari itself, under the Safari menu (check all boxes)
    2. Create a new user account and log into that. See if Safari behaves itself under that user account.
    3. Download and install the latest version of Safari from Apple.com downloads section.

3. calmack87 thread starter macrumors newbie

no luck!

hey i tried that and thought it had worked but then came bakc on today and its still crashing!

any other ideas?

4. Ragnar macrumors member

I'm sure you want to find the actual cause, but I hope you're using Firefox in the meantime! I actually prefer it due to the extensions available even though the new Safari does have some cool features. Import your bookmarks from Safari and at least take a break from the problem for a while;)

I'm nowhere near an expert, but it could be that you have some bad or too many tracking cookies or even something in your email that is slowing Safari down and causing the crash. I've even had messages in Apple mail I was unable to delete from my inbox in the conventional way, had to go into the actual program files, find and delete them. Caused all kinds of havoc.

Run Macscan if you have it. Get OnyX (it's free) and use it's maintenance tab to clear you cookies and cache.

That's my bet, Safari itself may be fine but something is robbing it's resources. G/L

5. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Did you try all three fixes? It's unlikely you'll have the problem using a fresh user account, unless you have some system wide issues that need addressing. You may also want to verify/repair your system disk using Disk Utility if you haven't already.

Do you have any third party browser extensions or input managers that are causing a problem? I'm not in front of a Mac right now so I can't say where they're installed specifically, either in /Library/ or ~/Library/

If in doubt, check your Console (utility folder) and filter for 'Safari' - paste the recent entrys here if they are not sensitive.