Safari keeps logging out

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by arjunj, Sep 18, 2012.

1. arjunj macrumors newbie

So my university uses Cyberoam to regulate content and as part of this, I have to log in from the browser using a Cyberoam ID before I can use the internet. Note that the log-in is not for the WiFi network, but for surfing the web.

Anyway, problem is that if you close the log-in tab, you get logged out automatically within 15 minutes or so and need to log in again before you can use the internet. This creates a massive mess on the iPad since opening a new tab in Safari makes Cyberoam think I've closed the log-in tab for some reason and logs me out within 15 minutes. This means there can be no downloads which take more than 15 minutes to complete since there will be no internet connection beyond the 15-minute mark.

It would be a huge relief if anyone could provide a workaround for this problem. I've googled it several times over and found nothing. Help?

2. MacDiaz macrumors member

Dont think its the Ipad

I had this same issue at a Hotel i was staying at recently, I dont think its an issue with Safari , I think they do it to stop people from logging in and leaving it buffering or downloading and so on. Check if anyone else at your Uni has the same issue.

3. arjunj thread starter macrumors newbie

It happens to every iPad in the university.

I think this happens because the 'tabs' in Safari aren't tabs in the conventional sense (just like multitasking in iOS isn't true multitasking) - I mean, opening a new tab in Safari for iOS somehow closes the previous tabs after a certain amount of time, while keeping images of them and reloads them once you go back to one. Of course I could be wrong, since I know next to nothing about how the app actually works and this is mere speculation. But if you've noticed, sometimes when you switch back to an older tab, the whole page reloads and this never happens in safari for mac.

4. MacDiaz macrumors member

I have in fact noticed that.

do laptops not get disconnected ?
    Also might be worthwile trying it with chrome (On the iPad) and open a few tabs and see what happens

5. arjunj thread starter macrumors newbie

No, laptops don't get disconnected. Not unless you manually close the browser or the log in tab.

And Chrome does resolve the issue to an extent - it refrains from logging out on switching to a new tab most of the time, but still logs out 4 out of 10 times. It's very weird. Thanks for the tip anyway!

6. MacDiaz macrumors member

That is wierd, sorry I cannot be of more help.