Safari keyboard shortcut to exit address bar?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kodos, Aug 12, 2016.

1. kodos macrumors regular

Sometimes I hit Command+L and change my mind about being in the address bar. On my laptop, etc. I would probably just hit the ESC key. However, there is no ESC key on my iPad Pro SmartKeyboard. Is there a convenient way to just get out of the address bar without touching the screen?

Off-topic: The lack of an ESC key has come up a few times, mostly in SSH applications, how are people getting around it without an onscreen key? For instance, using vim means that you hit ESC a fair amount. This is the perfect remote terminal for me especially with LTE, except for the ESC issues I am having.

Thanks!

2. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

For VI, if memory serves, you can use ctrl + [. Really kills muscle memory but should work.

For everything else, yeah, it's a bit of a bummer and an odd omission from the keyboard.

3. kodos thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent, thanks for the shortcut for vi! Works like a charm. Though as you said, painful to relearn muscle memory gained over the years.

I really like this larger iPad quite a bit - however, it is these little moments of aggravation that have just been killing me.

4. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

Yeah, definitely a "it works but it sucks" solution. I really like they keyboard otherwise but the lack of an escape key (and perhaps even a function row) does reduce the pleasure of it quite a bit for me.