Safari - Keyboard Tab Browswing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dreamer2go, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

Firefox 2 sucks after installing Office:mac 2008. Can't display some Traditional Chinese characters.

So I switched to Firefox 3 beta. And I HATE the URL bar....if I click the arrow to view my webpages, it displays HUGE URL informations. I dislike it. I just wan't the URL!

So I was thinking about switching to Safari. However, I dislike how you need to press CMD SHIFT arrow keys between tab browsing windows.
    In Firefox, it's just CMD 1-9, so much quicker, and easier. Is there a way in Safari that you can do it?

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

CMD 1-9 launches bookmarks in Safari, which is useful. You could try changing the keyboard shortcuts in System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts.

I went there to change the Equaliser in iTunes back to CMD + 2 when they added Option to the mix a while ago.

3. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

you can also use the [ ] keys with cmd+shift for back and fowards through the tabs, which is a much easier hand position (thumb on right cmd, pinkie on right shift, middle finger on [ or ]
    also cmd and [ ] are foward/back, navigating safari with a keyboard is nice and easy

thanks for the firefoxd (cmd+ 1-9) tip though, i've been wondering if it had that feature, but what happens if you have more than 9 tabs?

edit: hmm seems that if you have 10+ tabs open you can't select tabs 9 to n-1, which sucks, as does having to count along to see which tab you want, sometimes sequential is better than selection.

4. Dreamer2go thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol thanks for the tip
    but I really don't think the keyboard shortcuts in Safari useful at all...I rather point and click for bookmarks

I don't know the full menu name for tab browsing in Safari for System Preferences =(

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no.

and safari doesn't even have a drop down button for you....

Safari isn't good at customization department. maybe you wanna try opera?