Safari Keychain already has items? New MBP/OS X user

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wizardofoz85, Feb 9, 2014.

1. wizardofoz85 macrumors newbie

I've just bought a new MBP to replace my previous Windows laptop as I thought I'd see what OS X would be like for a change after having used Windows since I was a kid.

I had initially replaced it with an ultrabook but that didn't work out so well so I thought I'd see what the other side was like ;)

I've only had the MBP for a few days now and have been trawling the internet for any OS X articles I can find to properly acclimatise myself to it.

I was having a look through the Safari Preferences and looking at the passwords tab and found that there were three items already in there.

I haven't got a clue how they got there, the MBP I got was brand new and sealed up, having been shipped from China as a new BTO.

My passwords tab is showing login.wiera.hu, and weave twice. I've not been to either of these sites, in fact copying the url for either of them and trying to go to the websites does not load them up.

Any ideas why they're in there? It's just very bizarre to me.

2. leman macrumors 604

Did you buy it used? They might be left-overs from the last owner.

3. elviorion, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014

elviorion macrumors newbie

I don't have an answer, but I'd be interested to know. Keychain is something that I don't understand yet myself

----------

login.wiera.hu seems to be a prepaid internet hotspot in in Hungary...I'd contact apple about it to be honest...my concern would be that you paid new price for a used item

http://translate.google.com/transla...a.hu&rlz=1RMBKJA_enUS573US573&hl=en-US&espv=1

4. wizardofoz85 thread starter macrumors newbie

I might have to contact them, it's just a bit strange.

I just pulled the box out and it shows 02/2014 and a google search brought up a random site in the Netherlands that works out when the manufacture date based on the serial number and that threw up 02/2014 as well.

It was shipped to me on the 5th so I can't see that there would have been time for it to have been built , shipped to Hungary (presumably), sent back to China and then sent out to me from there.

I created a new user and had a brand new Apple ID created at the time of purchase so I can't see where the items in the keychain could have come from.

I bought it new but even if it was a return/refurb then surely I shouldn't have sites in the keychain that I haven't been to.

----------

OK, I think I've worked it out.

I went to Budapest on a stag do last year and logged into the hotel Wifi on my phone, on which I use Chrome as the web browser. The password for the weira connection was a version of the hotels name.
    I'm guessing that when I signed into Chrome it moved those details across. Still no idea what the "Weave" one might be but that doesn't even seem to be a web address and whilst the Weiru is saved on my Chrome passwords there's no sign of Weave there.

That's something of a relief, doesn't look like there is anything wrong with the MBP, I'm just an idiot :eek:

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Perhaps you have an iPhone or iPad that had those credentials stored in iCloud? They get replicated back to OS X as soon as you activate your iCloud account on the machine.