Safari killing my memory

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by giyad, Apr 9, 2008.

1. giyad macrumors regular

So I am posting this using firefox because Safari keeps freezing. You know, it keeps showing me that rainbow circle. I have one window open with 7 tabs. The thing is, only Safari crashes, everything else works perfectly fine.

I look in my activity monitor and Im just shocked at how much memory its eating up. with 7 tabs and one window, its taking up 362.40MB Real memory and 1.24GB virtual. Whats the deal?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

some websites takes more resources. would u mind tell us what are the 7 pages u were loading? (if u can)

3. giyad thread starter macrumors regular

not at all, they are all articles... so im not streaming any video or audio, would you like the links?

i saved the tabs and exited safari, i then reopened it and now its fine, but after a few hours im going to have the same problem again. I think the problem is that osx is allocating memory to safari and not reallocating it when im done. I don't see why it should ever use as much memory as i stated above, not unless im streaming video

4. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Safari eats ram...try leaving it on overnight with multiple tabs open and then check activity monitor in the morning...

The new ff3b5 handles memory pretty well, and with proto as the theme it looks fairly mac-like. Might be worth a try.

5. briantology macrumors 6502

Yea, I've noticed this too, so anytime I'm done with Safari, I always :apple: Q it so it doesn't keep all mah memory.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

maybe submit a bug report to webkit's bugzilla, more people pressure on this, the better chance webkit developers will put this on a higher priority..

7. giyad thread starter macrumors regular

I have FF3b5, but I prefer solving the problem rather than just switching. Im trying to figure out why it would do this...

The thing is I do quit the program whenever Im done so its just when I am surfing the web for an extended period of time that this happens.

8. benny105 macrumors newbie

hahah 342 mb? your lucky then, overnight i left it on with maybe two windows and i checked activitiy monitor in the morning and it was jumping between 700 and 1100 mb. yes indeed it does eat your memory but all you have to do is quit it and open it up again. which i think its worth it, because firefox doesnt have a few little features, including the new swipe feature for mbp. but other than that yes its really anoying, hope apple make a fix