Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Am I the only one noticing a ridiculous amount of lag in Safari with the 10.4.10 update?

At first I thought it was just me, but then my wife's iBook showed the same Beach Ball of Doom every few minutes and sometimes would take up to a minute to begin responding again.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
What version of Safari are you running?

I had terrible lag in Safari (beachball city) with 10.4.10 and did a permissions fix from the DVD and then ran an fsck and all is well now. Startup is much faster too.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
It's been fine for me. What other apps are running?
Typically, I have Mail, Safari, Adium, Terminal, and iTunes running. With 2GB of RAM, this should be pretty trivial.

Do you have any theme changers, system hacks or Safari plugins installed? :)
No, no, and no.

After I posted this, I decided to take a "carpet bombing" approach: I reset Safari (from the Safari menu), deleted ALL of the files in /Library/Caches and ~/Library/Caches, repaired permissions, and ran a few disk and file system checks.

A quick reboot later and all seems to be back to normal.

I wish I'd taken a more measured approach, but I was really tired of the lag.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Good work. That's hardly a carpet bomb approach though. That's really quite a measured approach. I usually find I end up resetting Safari monthly, just to clear things up a bit. It's a good app, but it's not perfect. :)

melicson

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2007
Safari Slowdown

Hi -

I had a similar problem with Safari in 10.3.9. Went to Safari Preferences, clicked the Autofill tab, and unchecked the "Other Forms" box and that stopped my painfully slow Safari.

Try it out.

Mike Elicson

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
Yeah, it sucks for me too. (The autofill uncheck didn't do anything for me).

I don't want to reset Safari, I just want it to be normal.

My sister has a MacBook, is running beta 3 and 4.10 just like I am, except I have a MBP and I'm the one with problems.

(Overall, her system is incredibly fast compared to mine. Both have 1GB RAM. I don't know why mine is slow, but I have a 2.16 17" and for some reason hers beats mine in speed tests. Mine is newer by a few months).

-=|Mgkwho

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Mgkwho, do you have plenty of free space on the boot drive? What's listed in your Login Items in System Preferences, and also what is in the StartupItems folder in your Library? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.