Safari Lag

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Salacion, May 22, 2010.

1. Salacion macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I'm having serious issues with Safari 4. It's extremely glitchy and laggy, freezing for seconds when I open new tabs, or even when I scroll down. It's painful. Many times I'm forced to force quit (ya for pun!) because it remains frozen.

Are any of you going through the same thing? If anyone has any recommendations, that'd be great.

I have a Black Macbook with Leopard on it. The computer still performs excellently, so perfomance isn't an issue. When Safari freezes and I have to quit, I'm typically on flash heavy sites (which I'm sure adds fuel to the fire). But Safari almost always lags for me.

2. sh0vel macrumors member

sh0vel

Try clearing the cache or resetting Safari. Install Click to Flash.

3. alienapp macrumors member

Or you could try to use the disk utility to repaid permission

4. Robert Johnson macrumors newbie

If you ever figure it out, let me/us know. I have this too, and it's annoying. All sorts of little hangups, short-duration pinwheels. Every time I start to type something in a form field or the search bar, I get a couple of characters out before it freezes up for seconds before continuing. The only solution I've found is switching to a different browser.

5. C1raider macrumors member

BACK TO LIFE, I'm having the exact same issue. Any solutions? I use to be a firefox user with my pc, however I was told Safari was easier on battery consumption so I switched. Maybe I should switch back. I will say I have multiple taps open and have other applications running however my RAM is not maxed and with the new i5 processor this is not a computational issue.

Thanks!

6. C1raider macrumors member

7. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

8. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    update to Safari 5 - latest version is 5.0.5

and as mentioned before Safari/reset Safari/ hit 'Reset' button

9. MacAddict1978 macrumors 65816

First, if this is SAFARI 4 (because what you're describing sounds like the issues with 5) here is a strange fix, but it works.

1. On your desktop click on your hard disk icon, press enter, and rename it to something else.
    2. Reboot.
    I don't know why it fixes Safari, but it does (and named the correct answer in Apple's forums.) You can change the name back and the fix sticks. If I can find the link the the Apple Forum thread I'll post it in later.

However, are you sure you are using Safari 4 and not 5? Five has a severe issue that no amount of resetting Safari fixes and is lighting up forums all over the internet. For some reason, Safari 5 sucks up massive amounts of system resources for no apparent reason, runs slow, crashes, tabs become unresponsive, and if you have other apps open it bogs down and often freezes the entire system resulting in a forced hard restart. Apple is of course denying it, but so many other people are having the same exact problems it's definitely an issue. I even tried reinstalling Safari and no dice, and am now using Chrome... which I'm starting to like a lot. The oddity is that not everyone is having the Safari 5 issues, so who knows whats causing it. A lot of people have run Activity Monitor and watched Safari syphon the life out their systems. I didn't see much but worth a look.

10. halledise macrumors 65816

Safari 5.0.5 behaves perfectly here :D

11. halledise macrumors 65816

upgrade to Snow Leopard

12. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Chrome, I got sick of Safari's spinning beach balls :eek:

13. C1raider macrumors member

Sounds like Chrome for the fix huh? What about installing a version of Safari 4?

FYI, I do have the newest version of Safari and I also have the newest Mac OS installed on my 2011 mbp

One other thing that really frustrates me about safari is it wont save my passwords and usernames like firefox would. Maybe I just dont know how to use it.

14. halledise macrumors 65816

yus it will

Screen shot 2011-05-20 at 9.38.41 AM.png

15. halledise macrumors 65816

I don't get it :confused: - never have that problem myself with Safari

doesn't hurt to empty the cache now and again
    (shift+command+E)