Safari lagging/disk icon

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Totty1987, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Totty1987 macrumors regular

For the past couple of weeks, I've noticed a slow down and slight lag in safari. I normally have 5-6 tabs open at once, so I'm not sure if the problem may lay there.

I'm running 4gig of ram.

2. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Troubleshooting slowdowns are challenging. You may have to run System Profiler (in Applications --> Utilities) and watch the CPU and RAM usage. 4GB of RAM should be plenty for 5-6 tabs in Safari, but what else is running? System Profiler will help you with that.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

If you haven't already done so, try changing your DNS servers on your Mac and your router to OpenDNS servers. This will show you how: Why am I being redirected to other sites?

Try disabling your Safari extensions and ad-blockers.

For Flash-related issues:
    • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
    • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.

4. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, but how do I do this?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just follow the instructions. Which part don't you understand?

6. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

The part I highlighted in red

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Safari > Preferences > Extensions > Off

If you have any ad-blockers that you've installed, you should disable those, as well. You should know what you've installed. They may be extensions or they may be other tabs on the Preferences.

8. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

I have AdBlock 2.5.37 installed. Shall I uninstall it from my system?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No need to uninstall it. If you turn extensions off, that will also disable the AdBlock extension. Disabling extensions and ad-blockers is only for the purpose of determining if one of them is causing performance issues. If you don't experience lags with them disabled, but do when they're enabled, that tells you that an extension is likely the culprit. If there's no difference either way, you can re-enable them.

10. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

I've just turned off extensions and it seems to be AdBlock causing the lag/slowdown issues. Safari now seems to be more responsive.

If I have extensions turned off, I'm unable to use clicktoflash.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try turning your extensions back on, but disable AdBlock, and see what happens.

12. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

One other thing, Looking at my activity monitor, For some reason I only have around 435.00mb of free ram even though I'm just using Safari with 8 tabs open.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's ok. You don't need to track free RAM. The only thing to keep an eye on is page outs.

14. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

I think AdBlock was the issue. Would you recommend I uninstall it and download ClicktoFlash?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I definitely recommend ClickToFlash. Some have reported problems with AdBlock, so you can uninstall it. A couple others I run are GlimmerBlocker and JavaScript Blacklist.

16. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

If I choose to download all three, will they cause lag on my system. Sorry if these questions seem to be asinine, I'm just trying to make sure my user experience is as efficient as possible.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it shouldn't. I run all of those, including AdBlock, with no performance issues at all.

18. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh ok. Thanx so much for your help. Safari seems to be running much more smoothly.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Glad it worked out!

20. kaielement macrumors 65816

Has anyone noticed that when you have 5-6 tabs open and you try to close one then safari crashes. It been happing a lot to me. Seems to happen a lot when I have tabs open with pics. Like if I am opening pics (in multiple tabs) from a forum site or something like that, then I look at said pics and try to close tabs safari crashes. It doesn't happen all the time but enough to make it a problem. Any suggestions.

21. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

GlimmerBlocker looks terrific! I would love to block ads from our iPad and Touch, but my iMac is usually powered off when not in use. Are you familiar with any equivalent Windows apps? We have a Windows server that is always on.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've never had that happen. I routinely open 50-60 tabs at a time, then close them as I read them. I've never had it crash from doing so. You might want to try some of the suggestions in this thread to isolate the problem.
    It's been over 4 years since I had a Windows PC, so I'm not familiar with what ad-blockers are available for Windows.