Safari load time

Applexilef

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Hey guys, quick problem here:

I'm running Mac OS X- Panther and I use Safari to browse the internet and such. Lately, every time I open the program it takes a enormous amount of time to start up, last time I timed it at 28 seconds to start. This usually wasn't the case...

I've repaired permissions, cleaned up, reset safari, and nothing. It still takes forever. Even as I type this there is a microsecond delay between my pressing of a letter key and it's actual appearance on the keyboard. I have a 1 Ghz with 384MB of RAM, I should not have any performance problems since I'm using the same software that came loaded on the computer when I bought it.

Once the program is open, I can easily open up new windows and such, the problem is specifically when I start up the program after quitting/boot up.

Can anyone help? It's pissing me off

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
Applexilef said:
Hey guys, quick problem here:

I'm running Mac OS X- Panther and I use Safari to browse the internet and such. Lately, every time I open the program it takes a enormous amount of time to start up, last time I timed it at 28 seconds to start. This usually wasn't the case...

I've repaired permissions, cleaned up, reset safari, and nothing. It still takes forever. Even as I type this there is a microsecond delay between my pressing of a letter key and it's actual appearance on the keyboard. I have a 1 Ghz with 384MB of RAM, I should not have any performance problems since I'm using the same software that came loaded on the computer when I bought it.

Once the program is open, I can easily open up new windows and such, the problem is specifically when I start up the program after quitting/boot up.

Can anyone help? It's pissing me off
have you tried to delete the safari preferences from your comp?

Applexilef

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
I'm not sure what you're talking about, can you please specify?

I went to the preference section but couldn't find anything related to your comment

Applexilef

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
I just deleted that file and it still takes a long time. Any other suggestions?

Also, may I ask how long does it take your safari to boot up?

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
Applexilef said:
I just deleted that file and it still takes a long time. Any other suggestions?

Also, may I ask how long does it take your safari to boot up?
Well my Safari takes no longer than 2 to 4 seconds at the most but I am running Tiger which gives Safari a major speed boost in just about every way.

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
I have a similar problem. Safari takes an awfully long time to open and every time I click on a link I get a beachball for 3-5 seconds. If I open a tab in the background I get a beachball for 7-10 seconds or until the page is loaded.

I've tried deleting the preferences, resetting Safari, and even an Archive and Install and the problem persists. I'm running Tiger on a PowerBook. I had the problem in Panther and it stayed even after I upgraded to Tiger.

:confused:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Safari's caches might be corrupted. To test this, delete the Safari folder in Username/Library/Caches and the Icons folder in Username/Library/Safari. Does Safari have any other cache folders that I'm forgetting about (one possibility is a folder called com.apple.Safari in Username/Library/Caches)?

Applexilef

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
wrldwzrd89 said:
Safari's caches might be corrupted. To test this, delete the Safari folder in Username/Library/Caches and the Icons folder in Username/Library/Safari. Does Safari have any other cache folders that I'm forgetting about (one possibility is a folder called com.apple.Safari in Username/Library/Caches)?
WOW! What a change! The icon bounced only once before the program opened. Does your suggestion apply to any other program? or is it just Safari specific?

Thanks a lot!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Applexilef said:
WOW! What a change! The icon bounced only once before the program opened. Does your suggestion apply to any other program? or is it just Safari specific?

Thanks a lot!
Yes, it applies to any other program that has cache files in the caches folder.

carolmunyua

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
wonderful! this solved the issue.

too happy for finding this answer. Solution provided solved my very slow Safari loading issue.

Group Hugs!!:)

tiredof

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
Same Issue

but I am running Mountain Lion OS 10.8.5

There is no Safari under Caches and no Icons under Safari. Is there another location or folder to check?