Safari loads downloads inside browser window (doesn't save them)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by trakais, Dec 17, 2008.

1. trakais macrumors newbie

OK, this is really weird - when I download a file, no matter what kind (ZIP, DMG, what have you) the file is loaded inside the browser window (the downloads window doesn't even react). The browser displays a grey screen as my ZIP file download progress shows in the address bar, as if a page would be opening.

I can then save the file with File->Save As

This happens in all webpages, and not only in latest Safari, but also on latest Webkit. I didn't see any preference that could control this.

The only remedy right now, is to right-click and "save linked file as ...", because direct click on a link causes this issue.

Any ideas?

2. chinajon macrumors newbie

chinajon

Site specific ?

You did not say whether this happened in all visited download sites or just one.

IMO it is a site specific problem. Just use the 'save link as' method.

Try Firefox with the 'Flashgot' tool installed. Flashgot can link to downloaders such as SpeedDownload.

3. Mugwumper macrumors regular

Dumb question: in Safari Preferences -> General, where do you have
    your downloaded files being saved? Mine go to /Downloads, but you
    can set it to go where you want. Is it possible yours has just gotten
    reset?

Hope this helps . . .

4. trakais thread starter macrumors newbie

1. it happens in all websites, in all downloadable files, any kind

2. download location is set to an existing location. it works, if i manually choose "download linked file" from the right-click menu

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The cause is probably your ISP, then. Have you tried browsers other than Safari?

6. trakais thread starter macrumors newbie

other browsers download fine. ISP is not at fault, tried others. Also tried deleting every preference file related to Safari, clearing preferences, upgrading original Safari and also Webkit, and no change in this behavior. When I click on a file, it just loads it as a webpage. Right-Click to download can't always be used, as some PHP pages pass the click on to some script that gives me the download file, so rightclick-saveas gives me the php file instead :(

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That points the cause of the problem clearly at Safari, then. I suspect an add-on as the cause. If you have any add-ons for Safari installed, try deactivating them (if they support this) or temporarily moving their associated files/folders elsewhere while Safari isn't running.

8. wakanomori macrumors newbie

This is just one more nasty glitch that seems to have appeared with the latest Safari -- when you isolate safari as the cause, it seems the next step people come up with is "must be an add-on," i.e. can't be Safari. I'm skeptical: I'm not sure I even had any add-ons, but I'm using Camino and Firefox right now as that Safari 3.2.1 seems downright unsafe.

What sort of add-ons might be a problem? And has anyone with NO add-ons had any weird issues with the new Safari -- especially random deletion/reappearance of cookies and/or history?

9. trakais thread starter macrumors newbie

by the way, this I fixed by looking at all kinds of remains of uninstalled programs, and found Speed Download. Removed all the files and it fixed the issue. Speeddownload was simply dragged to trash, as advertised. Teaches me to use AppRemover all the time