Safari memory leak fixed with new version

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by TheJing, Oct 12, 2011.

1. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Safari used to go up to 1GB and even more than 2GB of RAM every time I had it open for a longer period.

Since I upgraded it hasnt gone over 300MB.

FINALLY!

2. NazgulRR macrumors 6502

3. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

It depends greatly on where you go and how many tabs and what extensions. Results are different for everyone. But yes, it is better than 5.1.

4. johnywalker1989 macrumors regular

Hi. I have the latest version of Lion and with no extensions installed I have 500MB memory of Safari Web Content? Is this normal?

5. miknos Suspended

miknos

It was already discussed in another topic.

Yes, it was fixed and 500mb could be normal depending on how many tabs or webpages you're visiting.

6. johnywalker1989 macrumors regular

7. qap macrumors 6502

qap

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/26.984; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/10.54)

But safari still reload all tabs "random" :(

8. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

"Feature"

9. Vermifuge, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

Vermifuge macrumors 6502a

Vermifuge

I don't know if any one noticed this but the leak is actually related to pinch to zoom. I can easily replicate the problem. Just launch Safari and load a page. Pages that are graphic and flash heavy will consume more memory. Now open up Activity monitor and watch the memory usage.

Pinch to zoom into the Page (being sure to let go) and pinch to zoom out (and let go again.) I found Each zoom eat about 10 MB. If you do this rapidly enough you can make Safari consume up to a GB of ram in just a few moments. It may not seem like a lot but those that use this feature often will soon find themselves without memory.

A few things that might play a factor

1) Available memory
    2) Page content
    3) Screen resolution (I run 2048x1152)

Obviously this is pretty specific to people on MacBooks or who use the Magic Trackpad. this would be why not everyone sees the problem or why it only happens on certain systems.

I tried reporting this to apple but they just kicked it right back to me.

10. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

I told the doctor ... doc it hurts when I do this!

Doc says "don't do it!" ... seriously can you just use the Zoom in/out menubar icons until apple gets it fixed?

11. Vermifuge macrumors 6502a

Vermifuge

I don't understand the hostility. I was just explaining the nature of the problem. I just installed 16 GB into my mini so the problem takes a lot longer to present itself. Is it hurting me? no. Is a bug? yes. I know bugs happen. Hell I own a SQA practice.

12. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

What do you mean by "kicked it right back to me"? I had thought that they would love such a report where the bug is easily replicated?

13. Vermifuge macrumors 6502a

Vermifuge

I may not have reported it through the correct channels. But to be fair Apple does not really have an easy channel to submit bugs. I sent an email but i was told to go through some developer option that I don't have access too.