Safari memory leak?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lrmd98, Jan 5, 2016.

1. lrmd98 macrumors member

lrmd98

Hi Guys, I've just purchased a Macbook Pro 15" Retina and I seem to be undergoing a memory leak from Safari?
    This Macbook is less than a week old.
    Safari is using extensive amounts of RAM and resulting in forced closure.

Could anyone suggest what the issue is? Or how i could potentially fix it?
    Many Thanks, Luke.

Attached Files:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

First, get rid of Clean my Mac. That app often causes users more trouble than anything.

If that does not fix it, try a boot to safe mode by holding the shift key at boot. That stops all startup and launch items from running to eliminate that as the issue. If it does not happen in safe mode, that tells you it is some startup or launch items causing this.

Give it a try and let us know what happens.

3. lrmd98 thread starter macrumors member

lrmd98

Hi Weaselboy, thanks for your advice.
    I've just tried both of your tips given above, removing CleanMyMac 3 has made no difference and the problem is still coming up while in safe mode.
    If you have any other ideas, they'd be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Luke.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Does it seem to be any particular web site that causes this? Do you have any Safari extensions installed?

5. lrmd98 thread starter macrumors member

lrmd98

Hi, thanks again for responding.
    I've no Safari extensions installed and it appears to happening on any website; it's happened while on eBay, Macrumors, aliexpress and the list continues.
    Thanks.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmmm... Safe mode would stop any other apps or utilities (like malware) from running, and with no extensions that is pretty stripped down.

Try going into Safari prefs then in the Advanced tab enable to Develop menu. Then click the Develop menu up top and empty caches. Does that help?

7. lrmd98 thread starter macrumors member

lrmd98

Hi, again. I had the Develop menu enabled already and had emptied my cache, just done it again and there's no difference.
    Do you think it would be worthwhile me just factory resetting my macbook? It wouldn't be a problem with it being essentially new, i've not got many files on it yet.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Edit: The memory usage wasn't as high while in safe mode, but was still extensive in my opinion. Around 12GB.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That's the nuclear option and would likely fix it.

How about try one more thing. go to System Prefs and in Users & Groups, make a new admin account just to test. Then restart and login to that account and see if it happens there. If it does not, that at least tells us it is something specific to you account.

9. lrmd98, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016

lrmd98 thread starter macrumors member

lrmd98

Right, that's worked! I've just created a new admin account and the memory usage is very minimal now! (Attached screenshot below). Must be something attached to my user then, should i just transfer my files over from my previous user and delete the previous?

Couldn't thank you enough, sir.

Edit: Moved all my files over to the new user; no problems at all now, Thanks @Weaselboy. You've been so helpful! Very much appreciated.

Attached Files: