Safari memory leak?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Eluzion, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Eluzion macrumors 6502

Anyone else notice Safari eats up a ton of physical memory after it's been open for a while? I was trying to boot up Windows through VMWare Fusion and kept getting an error. Checked how much free memory I had and sure enough, only about 60mb. Looking through the activity monitor I noticed Safari using up 560mb of physical memory. Isn't that a bit, or actually extremely, excessive for a web browser?

2. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

I have been noticing this too recently. It sucks to have to close it all the time, but my MacBook boots it up again in only a second or two so it hasn't hindered my surfing too much.

3. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

Ok I don't know much about how memory works on a Mac yet. But I do know that right now Safari is taking up 430 MB of Real Memory. I have 2 gigs in my MacBook and it only has 132 MB free.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Safari has always had a few memory issues. I quit it each night to ensure things don't get too out of hand, and that works well for me.

Remember that memory management in OSX is a bit complicated, to say the least. If you have plenty of RAM available (inactive and free), then it's not uncommon for a process or app to take up a large amount of it on a may-as-well kind of principle. When it's at the expense of other programs, then something's not right as is the case here.

5. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

I have to reset safari often to get it to load a page or two_Otherwise, i get the never ending blue barber pole or Doom.
    Some things that take forever to load in safari, load quickly in Firefox. and vice versa.

6. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

Safari always runs smooth for me, though it does chew a fair bit of memory, which is a shame since i like to keep dozens of tabs open for days.
    I have also noticed that when i change some of the preferences, like turn cookies on or off, it often does not work. When i go back into preferences a few minutes later i find that it is back to the previous setting.
    Minor gripes aside, i still much prefer Safari over Firefox.