Safari memory leak?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by svkrzn, Jan 3, 2010.

1. svkrzn macrumors regular

Hello, i'm using Safari 4.0.4 that comes with SL, and i usually open many tabs. But i found that those pages that contains a lot of flash animations, makes my safari extremelly slow and by monitoring the memory activity, i found that safari uses about 670MB of ram.

It slows up when i open 3 tabs of this page: http://www.malianteo.com/foros/f35/

Is that a bug or working as intended?

2. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Flash animations can be bothering. I use Click2Flash for this very reason. Try it out if you like http://rentzsch.github.com/clicktoflash/

I can't say that Safari has a memory leak or not. But try opening the same or similar tabs when Click2Flash is installed and then look at your memory usage.

In general you shouldn't worry about memory usage like this. The system will compensate for other things you might do.

Of course some 700 MB of memory usage sounds a little high just by looking at the number.

3. svkrzn thread starter macrumors regular

Seems nice though i did not try it yet. It would be nice if it could block ads only. Does it use white list for example sites like youtube, i don't want to click for every video i want to see.

4. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Yeah you can whitelist sites with click2flash. It's a great plugin!

5. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

the memory usage keeps climbing and it never frees the memory until your quit the application. the solution is to periodically quit safari to free the memory.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

safari seems to always suffer from a memory leak. In some version the issue is more severe. In the current one, its not too bad, at least on OSX. I've stopped using the windows version of safari because its horrid, but that's a story for another thread ;)