Safari much slower than Chrome

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Mac.User, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Mac.User macrumors 6502

Has anyone noticed that Safari is much slower than Chrome? Some pages seem to take almost double the time to render that Chrome does, and on some Java heavy sites that Chrome loads in seconds, Safari takes 20-40 seconds to load.

Is it just me?

2. gamesetmatch macrumors regular

gamesetmatch

Both browsers load pages with the same speed for me. I haven't noticed any difference so far.

However, I much prefer Safari over Chrome and I'm sticking to the former. It's my everyday browser.

All the best,
    ^MPY.

3. Mac.User thread starter macrumors 6502

AN example is try to Built a Scion on Scion.com the pages take FOREVER to load on safari and then eventually pages fail to load, in Chrome it loads instantly. I have had other pages do the same thing.

I have a clean install from Apple, and I have reset my Safari settings a few times. The only thing that seems to help is that if I disable JavaScript then the pages that take 20+ seconds to load only then take about 5, but are still slower than Chrome.

On some pages if I click on a text box to type I have to wait almost 30 seconds just to be able to type. Chrome doesn't have that issue.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Generally I find Safari to be quicker but the Scion site seems to be the exception. There may be others.

5. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

It all depends on the website. Safari for OS X is very good at protecting you from many exploits others run by default, sometimes it may add more time to view the page as a result.

6. slrandall macrumors 6502

Strange, that site is really quick for me on Safari. Definitely no more than 2/3 seconds loading the Build a Scion page.

7. vanc macrumors 6502

It's not bad on Safari. But much faster on Chrome when building a scion. The animation just flies.

8. Mac.User thread starter macrumors 6502

The 7.0.1 update thats on the developer.apple.com fixed most of the issue.

9. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

The biggest issue I have with Safari is videos and/or YouTube links posted on internet forums. I don't even see them in Safari but Chrome runs them fine.

As a result I'm running both browsers and anything with videos I use Chrome.

Speed seems to be about the same.

10. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

It would help if you posted more details about your setup. I'm assuming you're on Safari 7 on OSX 9 but what about extensions?

11. seismick macrumors member

I had the same problem and was able to fix it by disabling web protection on Sophos (Open Preferences --> Web Protection --> slider for "block access to malicious websites" to off).

12. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Does anyone know how to reinstall Safari on Mavericks? The app has been deleted on accident and I can't figure out how to download and reinstall. I do have a record usb. Any ideas?

13. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

You need to reinstall the whole OS.

14. twintin macrumors 6502

Works for me on places I have visited. You haven't installed any extension that possibly could cause this ?

15. borostef macrumors 6502

borostef

I really like Safari because of all the sharing and iCloud options built into it, although I do find it a bit slower then Chrome... The one thing that I don't like in Safari is that I can't make it to remember the zoom level of webpages.
    In Mountain Lion it would at least remember the zoom level of the active tab (If you opened a new tab or window it would open with the default zoom level), but since I upgraded to Mavericks it won't remember even that... If I increase the zoom level and then surf over to another web page in the same tab the new page opens with the default zoom level...

16. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

Not that I know of. Someone suggested it may be AdBlock but i turned it off with no change. The extensions I have installed are:

Safari Restore
    Snapback
    Reload Button
    Some Facebook extensions
    AdBlock
    Twitter For Safari
    Awesome Screen

Then a few others like ZoomBySite, clea.nr Videos, but I turned it off too with no change. I need to just make an appt at the Apple store..

17. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Not true. I created the USB install disk and from there copied over the safari application to my local disk. Everything seems to be working just fine.