Safari & multiple passwords

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pjuk, Nov 8, 2007.

1. pjuk macrumors newbie

I have a couple of e-bay accounts and I find it rather annoying that Safari defaults the autofill of username/password to the last used account.

Is there anyway that Safari can fill in the appropriate password when the username is filled in/or selected? Firefox is capable of this but I find it somewhat sluggish on the mac.

I'm currently running Leopard on a Macbook pro.

2. lsmeteor macrumors newbie

Did you ever find out how to keep multiple passwords for the same page?
    I used to be able to do just that for gmail with safari until a friend who used my MBP typed in her user/pass then selected 'Never for this site' . That threw my setup off and I can't get it to work as before.

I'd be interested to know if you found a solution for this. Thx.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

AFAIK, safari isn't capable of remembering multiple passwords for same page.

Firefox 3 is faster and native on mac, beta 2 was released a month ago, Op can try out

4. xlopez macrumors member

The program 1Password" works wonders for that. You store all passwords and forms among other secure items. When you need them you can just press Command + "\" and a little window shows the various accounts you have saved for that site. Then it's just a matter of selecting the one you need. Make sure you turn off auto-complete/ remember passwords in Safari.

5. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

+1 for 1passwrod :)

Works for all browsers as well (except Opera)

6. lsmeteor macrumors newbie

Just an update on this subject.

As usual, when you're no longer looking for a solution, it either pops up in your face or quietly settles to do what you wanted it to do in the first place. :confused:

I am back to being able to use multiple user/password pairs for the same web page. :D The problem is that I am not sure how that happens.

I have tried numerous times to select the "Remember" option that Safari offers when typing in my user/pass combo only to find out that it replaced the one that was stored before. Now I just retried the same operation and my other user/pass was kept along the other one I had already stored.

It has nothing to do with Keychain, on Safari.
    Well that was to confirm that it is possible to keep multiple passwords in Safari for the same page. Currently I use Safari 3.1.2 but I had this happening before version 3.0.0 even came out.

7. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Firefox 3 isn't faster than the latest Webkit, which will be a part of the next Safari update. http://www.zimbrablog.com/blog/archives/2008/06/and-the-winner-is.html

For the topic starter: I use 1Password and it's excellent. http://agilewebsolutions.com/products/1Password/screenshots

Also works with iPhone.

//edit: oops, didn't notice this was from January! My bad.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

we can further discuss the real world difference of 0.1ms js speed improvement when next generation of safari out. Next generation, not safari 3.1.3. :D