Safari New Tab (Instead of Window)?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mac In School, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Mac In School macrumors 65816

The only thing that keeps me from using Safari is the way that target="_blank" links open in new windows, and there is no option to open them in new tabs.

Yes, I'm well aware of Command-click, right-click, etc. Those are not a good solution. It's the surprise new windows that bother me.

I'd like these surprise links to open as tabs rather than windows. However, I'd also like specifically-sized Javascript pop-up windows to open the way they were designed to: As pop-up windows.

I've used Saft in the past. It does a nice job with the first half of the problem, but does not accommodate the specifically-sized Javascript pop-up windows.

Yeah, this thread has come up several times before. Just wondering if anything has changed since the last one, or if Saft is still the best game in town.

Thanks.

2. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

Download Secrets and you can find lots of nifty little tweaks to software in Mac OS X including opening new links in tabs automatically for Safari. Enjoy :)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Force new windows to open in tabs in Safari
    In Terminal.app, type:
    defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true​

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is the problem with Saft that it redirects javascript pop-ups to new tabs? I don't think SafariStand (or just changing the preference mentioned in the reply above) does that, so either of those options should be fine for you.

5. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I use Firefox because it handles links and tabs better than Safari (for free), but even there I find that pop-ups sometimes elude it and create new windows, unbidden.

Still, if you can't find a satisfying solution with Safari, you might give Firefox a look; there are a variety of tools for managing how links are opened in tabs.

Does this force all links clicked to open in a new tab, or only those that would otherwise create a new window?

6. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

I do use Firefox because of this very problem. I'd really like to get back to using Safari, though.

Checking out the other sources now. Thanks.

7. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

Perfect!

THANK YOU!!!

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I have had Safari set to force new windows into new tabs for a while now, but there are still some of those popup windows (I'm looking at you, MacRumors:Forums file attachment window...) that, when they open in a new tab, get rid of my bookmark, status, address, and tab bars on that window, and I have to go to View and choose "Show _______" for ALL of them every time.

Is there a Terminal command to stop THAT from happening?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The latter
    I agree this is a pain. For windows like this, I just "Show Bookmarks Bar" so the tab appears, then drag the tab to my primary window. It would be better if this happened automatically, but I haven't found a way to do that yet.

10. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

Not automatic, but another option is: Window > Merge All Windows

No keyboard shortcut that I know of.

11. glasserp macrumors regular

I know what you're talking about and that is a major pain. Actually, I think when I installed one of the latest developer previews it fixed that problem... which makes sense.

12. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

This is something that's always annoyed me too. Has that Terminal command worked? Just given it a go but didn't get any message back saying it had done anything.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Terminal doesn't give feedback from using the command. After running it, restart Safari and see if it works.
    One caveat about using "Merge All Windows": If the new popup window without the toolbars is the active window, the resulting merged window will not have the toolbars. You have to make your primary window the active window before merging, so you retain your toolbars.

14. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

the terminal command doesn't work for me. i've tried using it in the past when i read about it in maclife or something and it doesn't open new links (say from igoogle) in a tab. perhaps its because i'm using the safari 4 beta.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's exactly why. It doesn't work with the beta, which is why I stopped using the beta and went back to Safari 3.2.1