Safari>New Window=DOESN'T WORK!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by twistedwrister, Feb 13, 2008.

1. twistedwrister macrumors newbie

I'm on my second Apple notebook now. I had an iBook G4 for 2 years then just recently upgraded to the 13" Macbook w/ Leopard. Everything has been fine except for one little nuance. From the get go I have not been able to use any of the options that pop up when you hold down the Safari icon in the dock. "Quit" works, but "New Window" does nothing. Also, if I have multiple Safari windows open, and I hold-click the icon to highlight another page in the background, nothing happens, the page isn't brought to the front.

I have tried updating my software numerous times to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this problem is occuring? Or what I can do to fix it? Thanks!

-Dante

2. twistedwrister thread starter macrumors newbie

3. twistedwrister thread starter macrumors newbie

Seriously? Doesn't anyone have any help to offer?

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Expect a new version of Safari any day now In the interim, try WebKit.

5. twistedwrister thread starter macrumors newbie

Is that just another type of Browser?

And I kinda doubt that it's due to Safari becuase I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

WebKit is Safari's engine and a project that releases a new build of Safari every night. download a WebKit build here if you want.

i would suggest dragging com.apple.Safari.plist in /home/Library/Preferences to the desktop and re-launching Safari to rebuild the preference file. this may fix the problem. if it doesnt you can drag the preference file on the desktop back if you wish as it contains your preferences for Safari.

7. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Sorry, I can't reproduce this. Shortcut, menu item and dock selection all open a new Safari Window for me.

10.5.2 running on a PowerBook G4.

8. twistedwrister thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded Webkit and removed the preferences file, both to no avail. Wow this is an annoying problem, albeit small. Thanks for the help though, man.

EDIT: Ok, so I didn't realize that you could open Webkit up as a browser at first. So now I'm browsing with it and the "New Window" option is working. But is this not Safari? Haha, please excuse me for my ignorance of Webkit, I was under the impression that it updated Safari, I didn't realize it was it's own browser. But thank you because all seems well now.

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

10. twistedwrister thread starter macrumors newbie

Does Webkit update itself or do I need to download the new update every night?

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Yo need to download it yourself, made easier by nightshift or if you want it to do it automatically you can use lingon to schedule nightshift to start at a specified time everyday.