Safari no longer opens

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bree~, May 29, 2011.

1. bree~ macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have searched, but cannot find (or perhaps I lost patience? lol) the answer to my problem. About a year ago after an update, my Safari completely stopped working. It would still open at logon and run, but you could never view anything. I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall to no avail. I really prefer Safari to the other browsers and would like to start using it once more. My OS is 10.5.8 if that is needed. Thanks for any help which can be provided :)

2. celticpride678

What do you mean you can't view anything? Errors? White page?

3. bree~ thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean nothing, nada, zip. You cannot even view a page. You can click to no avail, but it never opens even though it is running.

4. celticpride678

You're going to have to be more descriptive - is Safari opening or crashing? Post a screenshot....something.

5. MacmancUK macrumors member

Try downloading a previous version, after deleting current one, using AppCleaner, or similar.

6. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

7. bree~ thread starter macrumors newbie

There is no point in posting a screen shot as Safari simply isn't opening. It will run, but will not open. I can even right click it on my dock to "open new window," but nothing at all will open where I can see it. When you go to quit it, however, it tells me that I have multiple tabs open and am I sure I want to quit.

I uninstalled using MacKeeper uninstaller. I search my system and have no remnants of Safari in there, however when I go to install an old version of Safari, it tells me it cannot since there is already a newer version on my computer. It is very frustrating.

8. bree~ thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no idea what that is. Would it be something that I automatically have on my Mac?

9. jenzjen macrumors 68000

10. harcosparky macrumors 68020

We had the same problem on an older G4 Power Mac.

After an updateSafari failed to respond in anyway.

Tired of messing with it, after all it was on an old computer used by my kids I took the easy way out ......

FIREFOX

Sadly the G4 Power Mac died two days ago, so I'll never really know the solution for it.

BEST ADVICE I HAVE SEEN:

Reinstall the OS.

DO NOT UPDATE TO: 10.5.8

Use this link for 10.5.7 Combined Update .. http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_7_Combo_Update

11. bree~ thread starter macrumors newbie

Firefox blows for me, so now I use Chrome or Opera. I still prefer Safari. How do I reinstall my OS? I don't think this came with a disc like every PC I have ever owned did. I'll run upstairs and check though. I still have the box after two years. No idea why I kept the box lol If I do reinstall my OS, will I lose all my photos and stuff? If so, I think I'll just stick with never using Safari again until I buy a new MacBook.

12. harcosparky macrumors 68020

You should back up all your data onto an external HDD before doing the reinstall.

Ever Apple Mac computer I ever bought new came with disks for the OS and any other applications that came with it.

13. bree~ thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, it does. I'll try the OS in a few days. Have to go buy an external HDD first. Thanks, all.

14. bree~ thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I just fixed it after a year of frustration. I removed the community toolbar per these instructions. Thanks again for all the responses. I really appreciate the help. I have been looking for an answer off and on for a very long time now and just happened to stumble upon these instructions in a totally unrelated topic. GO figure haha!

https://discussions.apple.com/message/13209512#13209512