safari not connecting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shartel, Jun 23, 2009.

1. shartel macrumors newbie

i've been trying to get this solved for two weeks. all the posts on different sites i've looked at refer to things i don't have or can't find or don't understand. internet is working fine because i can connect through netscape.

thank you...

2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Probably a proxy setup. Look under Preferences -- Advanced -- Proxies and delete the web proxy (or all proxies) if they are there (unless you have to use a proxy to connect - in that case, set it up to be the same the "netscape" is using).

3. shartel thread starter macrumors newbie

no proxies to delete

the box marked FTP proxy server is blank. no selections are checked in the select proxy pulldown. doesn't matter if passive FTP is checked or not: no workie.

none of the items under location in the apple menu work, either.

thank you...:confused:

4. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Try setting up a new location in Network Settings (under System Preferences). Can you create another account and test it on it? Did it used to work or never worked?

5. shartel thread starter macrumors newbie

do i need to fill in the dns server? change the setting on configure ip4v? ip6v?

in the interest of full disclosure, i have no idea what these things are.

thank you.

6. BobZune macrumors 6502a

When you set up a new location (say, HOME_TEST), select the method you use to connect (e.g., Ethernet). If you pick USING DHCP, all the other things should be filled in automatically if you wait for a minute or so (you can look under ADVANCED to see them, you can disable IPv6 only if you are having problems, no other tabs needs any work - under Proxies, make sure there isn't anything checked).

[You CAN set up public DNS servers, if you are having issues relating to websites not loading 'fast enough' -- see http://www.tech-faq.com/public-dns-servers.shtml for a list - or do a websearch for them. If you choose to set up non-default DNS servers, open a terminal (Applications--Utilities) and "ping 4.2.2.1", or whatever IP address of DNS server you want to set up, and pick two or three that give you a short ping time -- mine are about 17 msec. To stop/abort the the ping replies, type "control c" in the terminal - no quotes.]