Safari not opening links in new tab, always new window

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by phillipjfry, Oct 26, 2007.

1. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I can't seem to find the right preference order to make it so when I click on a link that should open a new tab, it instead keeps opening up a new window. I have the first and third option checked in the tabs preference but it doesn't seem to matter. I might be delirious from playing with leopard all day/night, but I just want to figure this one last option out before bed :)

EDIT: I Would like to open links in new tab WITHOUT having to hold down the command key... :p

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Hold down the Apple ( or command :rolleyes:) key when you click on a link.That will open a new tab.

3. phillipjfry thread starter macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Hmm, Id really like to get away with not having to hold down the command key. You know, navigate the net with just your mouse 'n stuff, just like our forefathers would have wanted it :)

4. owen-b macrumors 6502a

What's even more annoying is if you open links from other apps, especially newsreaders such as NetNewsWire - they always open in a new window too, which means you can end up with a few dozen open!

Apple's browser design really isn't as good as they keep piping on it is.

5. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

Before bashing, please go to Safari preferences. On the first tab (probably called General, not sure because I'm using another language), the last option allows you to chose whether you want to open links from apps in a new window or a new tab.

6. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I have this set but it continues to open new links in another window, not another tab. I have to manually open a blank tab then C&P the link from the new window back in the tab so I only have 1 window open instead of 8. Maybe it's a bug and it doesn't actually do anything.

Safari in Leopard sure is cool but this one function (or lack thereof) is making Firefox look better again.

7. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what is causing this for you, but thankfully it's not behaving like that for everyone. For me, at least, links in Mail do open in a new tab.

8. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

This is why theres a selection called Window>Merge All Windows.

9. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I never noticed that feature :)

10. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

A new version of SafariStand has been released that works with Leopard. It requires the SIMBL plugin architecture, however. Is this completely stable? Has anyone tried it?

11. Khryz macrumors 6502a

For me it doesn't work when I'm already on Safari, click on a link and it automatically takes me to a new window. I clink on a link on the new website and I get taken to another window; that's 3 windows. In Mail or iChat it might automatically open a new tab but not in the example I described.

Pretty cool feature but I shouldn't have to do that. There should be an option for all new pages to be opened in a new tab, not just links from Mail, iChat, etc as in Safari.

12. Duane1024 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the contributors to this thread; I know now that I am not imagining things aren't working quite right. Note that this used to work in Safari 2.x, i.e. before I upgraded to Leopard, any JavaScript links that would try to open a new window, Safari would put into a new tab instead. Since many websites use this annoying feature of trying to open new windows, the tab-instead-of-window feature was very useful, but again appears to have been disabled in Safari 3.

13. demiurgical macrumors member

wow I never realized that option was there. It's AWESOME! Like magic they all come together as one. Thanks Peace :)

14. TheStu macrumors 65816

If anyone has an option other than SafariStand (isn't that a paid addon?) I am all ears. Honestly, that, and then inability to have multiple tabs as your homepage (I am working on integrating a script that will do just that, but I am stuck at having it launch with Safari. Any AppleScript gurus out there?) is all that is needed to have my friend finally stop using firefox on OS X.

15. soveet macrumors newbie

soveet