Safari not working after os reinstall and migration

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jessepage1989, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Jessepage1989 macrumors newbie

I recently reinstalled my os its the most current version. Everything worked fine. But when i migrated all my programs and files from my back up, all of a sudden safari does not work. I looked in the /library folder and no folder named safari exists. I think i may need to reinstall safari but i am unaware how to do that because i just cant download it because apple is awesome like that. I do not have a os disk. All that stuff exists on the harddrive under Recovery HD. If anyone can help that would be great. I'm assuming im not the only one to encounter this problem.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There would be no Safari folder in the main /Library folder, it would be in your user ~/Library folder.

Can you see the Safari app in the /Applications folder?

How did you migrate from backup?

Sounds like you may have mucked things up with the method you used to migrate and will need to reinstall OS X.

3. Jessepage1989 thread starter macrumors newbie

used migration assistant. safari is in the app folder

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What happens when you click Safari in /Applications to run it?

Try making a second (new) user account and see if Safari works there.

5. Jessepage1989 thread starter macrumors newbie

tried opening it under the applications folder and under a new user account and same deal. Both crash instantly. I'm just out of ideas. I actually have os lion. I didn't know they came out with a new os. I don't know if that has a bearing on the situation.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Close Safari
    hold down Option and click the View menu
    Select Library

This makes the User/You/Library folder visible
    Open Preferences folder
    Find com.apple.safari.plist
    move that to the Desktop

Try Safari again

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If it won't work under a new account, it sounds like the app bundle itself is corrupt. Running Lion is still fine. To get a new install of Safari and it's related files you will need to reinstall Lion. Just do a command-r boot to the Recovery HD and reinstall. That should fix it.

Make sure you have a backup first just to be safe, but the reinstall won't erase your data.

8. Jessepage1989 thread starter macrumors newbie

Reinstalled the os and no fix. Still crashes instantly. =(

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmmm... that is odd. Does it still crash if you create a new (second) account?

Do you have any Safari extensions installed or anything like plugins that modify Safari?

10. Jessepage1989 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not that i know of. I'm working on creating a osx lion disk at the moment. I think there is a way to extract the safari program and install it directly.