Safari - now you have to type .com

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by atomoboy, Aug 10, 2007.

1. atomoboy macrumors member

What gives with Safari? I've been happily entering just the domain without the .com extension and the software has been smart enough to add it for me. Now I have to type .com or the software can't find the url. Anyone know what's going on?:confused:

2. cornerdealy macrumors regular

3. apple1984 macrumors member

apple1984

I know exactly what you're talking about. I first noticed the change after I upgraded to Safari 3.0. I was extremely disappointed with the upgrade, considering that that overlooked little feature was probably the number one reason that I used Safari. The only way around it is to re-enter the domain without .com after the error message comes up. Then your website will start loading. A bit cumbersome, but I still find it easier than typing in the full URL.

4. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Works for me perfectly as well...

5. iBunny macrumors 65816

i beleive this is a bug. it sometimes works for me, and sometimes does not

6. gavd macrumors 6502a

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You really bothered over four extra keystrokes?

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Works perfectly on mine. I did the software update early this morning.

9. chelsel macrumors 6502

use opendns... www.opendns.com

fixes all kinds of typos... prevents phishing sites, adult material (optional) & more...

FREE, no catch

10. danny_w macrumors 601

That's not surprising. What DOES work on Safari 3.0, besides crashes? And BTW, on every version of IE and FF since the beginning you have been able to add the .com extension by pressing Alt-Enter (or Command-Enter on Mac). If you do this on Safari it opens the page in a new tab.

11. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I use Open DNS too and it works well. I only have one problem though, sometimes it will not find a site and will send me too the Open DNS page for that site and won't open that site again until I restart my browser.

But about the OP's problem, I get that sometimes too but I normally use firefox which always adds it (Firefox also has a cool trick I learned in XP that if you type in the word part of the URL (ex. macrumors) and then press :apple: + enter it fills in http://www and .com for you).

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm on Safari 3.0.3, and, as on Safari before, I just type 'macrumors' and hit enter and it finds it for me.

No need for '.com'. No need for 'www.'. Same for other sites, but not all. Oddly, for example, 'cnn' doesn't work, but 'bbc' does.