Safari - now you have to type .com

atomoboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Birmingham, AL
What gives with Safari? I've been happily entering just the domain without the .com extension and the software has been smart enough to add it for me. Now I have to type .com or the software can't find the url. Anyone know what's going on?:confused:

apple1984

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2006
usa
I know exactly what you're talking about. I first noticed the change after I upgraded to Safari 3.0. I was extremely disappointed with the upgrade, considering that that overlooked little feature was probably the number one reason that I used Safari. The only way around it is to re-enter the domain without .com after the error message comes up. Then your website will start loading. A bit cumbersome, but I still find it easier than typing in the full URL.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
i beleive this is a bug. it sometimes works for me, and sometimes does not

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Austin, TX
I know exactly what you're talking about. I first noticed the change after I upgraded to Safari 3.0.
That's not surprising. What DOES work on Safari 3.0, besides crashes? And BTW, on every version of IE and FF since the beginning you have been able to add the .com extension by pressing Alt-Enter (or Command-Enter on Mac). If you do this on Safari it opens the page in a new tab.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
NorCal
use opendns... www.opendns.com

fixes all kinds of typos... prevents phishing sites, adult material (optional) & more...
h
I use Open DNS too and it works well. I only have one problem though, sometimes it will not find a site and will send me too the Open DNS page for that site and won't open that site again until I restart my browser.

But about the OP's problem, I get that sometimes too but I normally use firefox which always adds it (Firefox also has a cool trick I learned in XP that if you type in the word part of the URL (ex. macrumors) and then press :apple: + enter it fills in http://www and .com for you).

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
(Firefox also has a cool trick I learned in XP that if you type in the word part of the URL (ex. macrumors) and then press :apple: + enter it fills in http://www and .com for you).
I'm on Safari 3.0.3, and, as on Safari before, I just type 'macrumors' and hit enter and it finds it for me.

No need for '.com'. No need for 'www.'. Same for other sites, but not all. Oddly, for example, 'cnn' doesn't work, but 'bbc' does.