Safari on iMac slows down, not enough ram?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by STC1709, Jul 20, 2011.

1. STC1709 macrumors 6502

Ok so i have a 24in iMac from 2009, has 4gb of ram and 2.66 core 2 duo. I have never had this problem but up until 2 months ago safari has really been lagging. Heres why perhaps. I have a trading platform that runs as an application installed "supposedly" uses 2gb of ram but i have yet to see activity monitor when everything gets slow. Then I have a java based platform running at the same time along with 5 safari tab windows open. It will work fine for a while then get real laggy, typing is so slow, scrolling lags, i have to close everything out and delete the plist from the library and start over again, pretty much rinse and repeat. My question is if I upgrade to 8gb of ram will i still see this problem? I assuming its the ram because I don't have this issue when I am just browsing the web with everything closed out. At first I thought the lion upgrade would change it all but not i think it has to be the ram. Any inputs? Thanks

2. sth macrumors 6502a

When the machine is lagging:
    Open Activity Monitor, select the "Memory" tab and check the "Page Outs" value. If it's higher than a few megabytes, a RAM upgrade would be the way to go.

3. STC1709, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

STC1709 thread starter macrumors 6502

This is what it looks like now, but lagging hasn't begun yet. Shouldn't I be looking at CPU?

[​IMG]

computer is EXTREMELY LAGGING here is the updated details

[​IMG]

I ordered 8gb of ram just now, extreme lag

4. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Your paging over a gig but still have over a gig free of real RAM, meaning I think there's probably a conflict with any one of the programs and Safari which are causing either Safari or the programs (or some key speed-related component of the OS) to constantly page to the HDD.

You have plenty of RAM, you have over a GIG FREE! Looks like a software bug or something like that.

5. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Your Paging is fine, you don’t have to worry about the size of Page in. If there are lots of Page out that is when you should start to worry as it means the imac is using the hard disk as memory.

More RAM never hurts, but have you tried any other browsers on the same sites to see if they also lag?

P.S. It looks like you are running out hard drive space with less than 100GB left.

6. Spike88, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Memory is cheap these days. Based on numbers, I would upgrade from existing 4 GB to 8 GB as well. Especially since upgrade to 4 GBs is less than a tank of gas (in a typical North American car). Or, a night out with one's special friend. If you plan to keep your iMac for some time, upgrading RAM is a good idea - even if it doesn't solve the Root Cause of the problem.

Using Print Screen, do show us the other Print Screens of Activity Monitor (when your machine is "lagged down"). For example: CPU, Disk Activity, Disk Usage and Network. We need to see the other Activity Menu screens to see if a stuck process is chewing up to much CPU or perhaps a full disk is chewing up swap file write ability. For the full RCA (Root Cause Analysis) of your unique 24" iMac system, we need to see the many other Activity Monitor screens (while under LAG) as well....

thanks.

7. STC1709 thread starter macrumors 6502

I got the ram anyway it was only $50 from newegg so whatever. But the lag right now is pretty extreme. I have to delete plist then it will be fine again but after that slowly but surely it will happen again once i load everything up. here are the screenshots
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

I think because you have to delete the plist alone means its not that the machine's running out of memory - more memory is always good to get, BUT, I'd bet 99% that its gonna make no difference.

I can't think of any other reason than there's a bug or a conflict with the two bigger apps your running and Safari, or any combination of software (be it Mac OS, the kernel, Finder, IDK).

But if you have free RAM, then its a software bug somewhere.

9. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Your screen prints of Activity Monitor are looking good....

A few months back, I remember reading about an iMac encountering weird / lagged behavior as well. For them, they:

1 - Reset SMC Control settings.
    See: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

2 - Rest PRAM settings.
    See: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

3 - Reapplied Disk Permissions.
    See contents of: http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/durepairfns.html

4 - Repaired their HD.
    See contents of: http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/durepairfns.html

This worked for them. Hopefully, these reset tasks work for your iMac as well....

Good luck....

10. STC1709 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok I completed all those things. I will see how it goes tomorrow when I have everything loaded up. If it still continues to lag then maybe its the ram, if that isn't the case, do you think the upgrade of lion may solve the problem if I do a clean install? The clean install might do the trick.

11. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

I have 16GB of RAM on my iMac and my machine has paged in 1.16GB of data. I have over 10GB of RAM free most of the time. OSX will page in data as it sees fit - whether there is free RAM or not.

My guess is that there is some rouge I/O going on. I noticed sometimes FireFox I/O will shoot through the roof and cause extreme disk access. This causes my system to lag for a couple of minutes while FireFox does it thing.

Perhaps some crazy app is doing the same thing on the OPs computer.

OP, you can check your disk I/O by running iotop via terminal, but you'll need to be logged in as superuser (sudo su -).

12. STC1709 thread starter macrumors 6502

How would I go about doing this, and what I am looking for so I know what to correct.

13. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Like I said earlier, I really, really don't think its the RAM.

If the iMac even just had **29MB's free**, there would next to lag, as users have posted that being the case (no lag with hardly any memory left) I think given their pictures posted but no mention of such happening (lag), then you shouldn't be seeing any lag with nearly a whole gig free.

If the reset procedures don't work, then have you tried Googling the issue in the same sentence as the unheard of (for me anyways), specifically-classed software you're using? Probably a software conflict.

If the plist needs to be emptied yet you still have free RAM, then it isn't that you have too little RAM...Id bet my $2,500 drum kit on it (or at least hypothetically :D)

14. STC1709 thread starter macrumors 6502

When I posted the middle picture that was at extreme lag. By me closing everything out and resetting safari the ram usage drops to near zero, then it will be fine until the lag slowly comes back. If its a bug idk how that would get fixed.

I did the 4 steps a few posts above no lag now but then again nothing is loaded up I will have to see what happens tomorrow and report back

15. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

As an example...I have 19mbs of RAM free....literally, I kid you not, I have mass Safari tabs open and only 3GBs of RAM, and Safari is as snappy as ever.

So again, I'm next to positive its not RAM. By FAR.

But, more RAM can never hurt...:)

16. STC1709, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

STC1709 thread starter macrumors 6502

so far so good, no lag yet and no signs of it

lag is back but its not as severe as it was yesterday, just a small lag

17. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

As a suggestion, perform "clean power off / on", then use FireFox instead. If your system does NOT lag with Firefox, then odds are, the lag is from Safari. If you feel Safari is the problem, disable all ADD-ONs within Safari. Each day, re-enable 1 Add-On. Then, try it for a full day. If the enabled add-on lags your system, then you found the problem.

Good luck....

18. STC1709 thread starter macrumors 6502

the add-ons for safari would be under safari>preferences>extensions, if so I have no add-ons at all

19. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

Moving from Safari to Firefox is unlikely to solve the problem.

Moving from Safari to Chrome makes all things possible. Dream bigger.

20. sth macrumors 6502a

Wow, I didn't know Google uses forum bots for advertising.

21. qoo77 macrumors newbie

As much as i love Apple, I have to agree with Roy here. Give Google Chrome browser a try, much snappier on my old geezer of a Mac mini with 4GB of RAM.

I doubt insufficient RAM is the issue here, your page outs seem really low. Mine's 3GB+ at the end of the day with Chrome at 40 tabs in 2 windows, Safari with 20 over tabs open and boatloads of other programs running at the same time.

22. sth macrumors 6502a

The thing is: If you want to check for a possible browser bug, the first thing I would try is using a completely different browser which is not, in any way, related to the browser you're having problems with.
    Therefore, the logical choice would be to try Firefox and Opera first.

I'm not saying Chrome is a bad browser.

23. STC1709 thread starter macrumors 6502

everything has been running better since I did the techniques on the previous page. I also updated safari yesterday to 5.1 seems to be a bit snappier and everything is running smooth. I think I will go ahead and return the 8gb of ram that I purchased.

24. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Glad to see it's working out, but you can really never have enough RAM, and unless money's really needed I think it'd be a good idea to just keep it.

That's what would do, never know when it may come in handy, right?