Safari on iPad: To Tab or Not

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DockMac, Apr 3, 2012.

1. DockMac macrumors regular

What was the logic of reverting to tabs for Safari for the iPad? It seems like a step backwards, instead of thumbnails.

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

3. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Thumbnails were designed for the smaller screen of the iPhone. There's no reason not to use the easier to access tabs on a device with a bigger screen.

4. G77 macrumors regular

Use iCab Mobile and you can have both. (with a lot of other great functions)

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

IMHO tabs rule. 1) It mimics how regular browsers work (more initiative to most people and 2) it's a more efficient way to surf. Personally, I hated the original iPad version of Safari.

6. DockMac thread starter macrumors regular

I must be in the minority. I am a very visual person, so the way it originally worked was quicker for me, since it was based on graphic thumbnails.

For tabs, my workflow is slowed down, because I have to read each tab, whereas the other way, was just recognizing a thumbnail.

7. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I must admit when they updated to IOS5 I wasn't really sure about tabs. Put it this way it's less simple.

The first Ipad was easy to use the tabs are good but it adds more clutter to the screen same with notifications. I mean this is why Android tablets and phones are poor so many menus.

I think they should have kept an option to disable tabs if you don't want them. I had a few crashes with the old format on my Ipad 2 and tabs solved it however.

Icab mobile is good you can pick tabs or no tabs the downside is I don't feel it's quite as sharp as Safari but it's the best alternative. One thing those windows were not very attractive and it was very dated. But strangely it was very quick.

So yes I see your point and totally agree but I do like tabs aswell there's pros and cons to both.

8. MR1324 macrumors 6502

9. mcl macrumors regular

I just wish they hadn't limited it to 9 tabs.

10. MR1324 macrumors 6502

they probably did that so that it would still be easy to select the tabs. imagine how small the tabs would be if you had 30 of them.

11. mcl macrumors regular

Other browsers on the iPad solve that simply: with scrolling tabs.

12. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro