Safari on Leopard Unable to Find Certain Websites

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HCE, Dec 12, 2007.

1. HCE macrumors newbie

Just got my first Mac (24 inch iMac) a couple of weeks ago and overall, I am quite happy. Like it all except for the Mouse (more on that later). I have had a couple of bizarre issues with Safari that I would like some feedback on.

1. Twice in the last two weeks, Safari has gotten itself in a state where it simply will not display certain web pages. For example, the last time, it complained that it could not find google. Other sites displayed fine. The site wasn't down. Firefox had no problems accessing it. Clearing the cache and a complete reset did not help. In the end, I actually had to reboot before Safari started finding google again.

2. I have had some problems getting Safari to accept proxy settings. I often VPN into work and during that period, I have to turn proxies on and once I disconnect, I turn proxies off. I noticed that I have to do things in a certain specific order for Safari to pick up the proxy changes. I first have to turn the proxies on, then connect with VPN and once I am done, I have to turn the proxies off and then disconnect. If I don't do things in that order, Safari behaves as though the change in proxy settings was not made at all.

Any help with these issues would be much appreciated. I tried Apple tech support but I got a rather clueless individual on the other end of the line and I spent an hour plus with her trying all sorts of things that accomplished precisely nothing. This was a brand new iMac with just a Cisco VPN, Firefox and a VNC client installed on it - so I thought some of my problems would be rather easily reproducible.

That apart, I have enjoyed the experience. Pretty much everything else worked like a charm except for the mouse which I already detest. I'll spare you my litany of complaints on that but I am replacing it in short order - probably with a Logitech MX400.

Thanks

- HCE

2. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I couldn't help you on the browser issue but I know exactly what you mean on that mouse. That is the worst thing about Apple. I hate the mice.

3. cmcconkey macrumors 6502

Safari and Mighty Mouse

What I have noticed, what little I have used previous versions of Safari, is that it just doesn't play well with some websites. This is the reason that I now only use Firefox, it will load up any website that I point it at.

As for the Mighty Mouse, I got lucky and the one that I ordered for personal use is perfect in every way. The "squeeze" button actually requires pressure and is not accidentally activated. But I have used another 15-20 in which about half of them would activate the "squeeze" button if you sneezed on them. While typing this I also noticed that on my personal mouse that the "squeeze" actually clicks and one that I am going to have to send back to Apple (scroll ball stopped working) doesn't click. Apple needs to do some more R&D on them and revise them ASAP.

I know this doesn't help you much but you are not alone in your pain.

Christopher

4. HCE thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. I noticed at least a couple of websites that Safari does not play well with - including, unfortunately, one at work which I *have* to access from time to time. However, I have Firefox and I'll use it if I need it. I was hoping to stay within the Mac ecosystem and that'w why I would like to find a fix for my Safari issues. The last thing that the Apple tech support person said was to remove and reinstall Safari. Does anybody think that would help. Has anyone fixed any problem by doing that?

The thing is that I *like* the idea of opening up expose by clicking on a mouse button. I just wish it wasn't so hair-trigger sensitive. In any given period of say a minute or so, I unintentionally go into expose at least 2-3 times. And that's just one of my issues. The scroll ball has gotten jammed at least a couple of times - though I managed to get it unstuck it each time. A lot of mouse use makes my hand hurt (which has never happened with any other mouse). I never seem to be able to do a middle mouse click without moving the scroll ball a little - since you use the middle button to paste on Unix, this causes text to be pasted in the wrong place all too often. Oh well, enough complaints :).

- HCE

5. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Personally I like the MM (well, mainly for the scroll ball - does anyone else do this?) but I too hate the sensitivity of the squeeze button and always have that feature switched off.

6. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

What do you have in your DNS server space, if nothing put in 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220 that should fix some of your problems.
    As far as the MM, well just buy a third party mouse and you will be set.

7. cmcconkey macrumors 6502

When I sit down in front of a computer that doesn't have the MM I go crazy because of the lack of the scroll ball. This is the greatest thing in the world to me. As for the sensitivity issues, the one that I have as my personal mouse works GREAT. You have to squeeze it in order for it to work, not just barely touch it.

Christopher

8. mglower macrumors newbie

mglower

Safari unable to find server

I have the same problem with my Imac and macbook 10.58. Intel processor for both. Idid both and it did not fix it either? Help, this is so annoying.

Novice::confused: