Safari on Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MacBookPro13", Jul 2, 2011.

1. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

No joke, it is extremely "snappy".

Been using the GM for a while now and finding that Safari is a lot faster than it was on Snow Leopard and for the first time ever I might actually use it as my default browser.

2. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

3. haravikk macrumors 65816

I assume this is a move to using discrete processes for different functions? Safari was always nice and fast compared to other browsers until it started to lag behind once Chrome came out with its separate process tabs, though I kept using Safari anyway.

When Safari is running now, what exactly are the processes and what does each do? The features page only mentions one for web content and one for GUI, is that it, or are there separate ones for individual tabs, plug-ins etc.?

4. Lotti macrumors member

Two-finger swipe to go back / forward has sold me. The way the page slides across is the way all browsers should work. Love it!

5. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Scroll bars are a lot nicer than on Chrome also.

Pages load very fast & it just comes across as a pleasant browsing experience.

Is there any adblock plus available for Safari though?

If Safari had the search bar combined with the URL bar it would be pretty close to perfect IMO.

6. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I've gotten really used to using that. I miss it when using the iPad.

Safari menu >> Safari Extensions... It's top of the Most Popular list.

7. BlackMangoTree macrumors 6502a

How does one disable the automatic restore of pages when you launch safari so freaking annoying

8. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I think it's only possible to disable that systemwide. At least until someone discovers a terminal command.

9. tgt macrumors newbie

For now you could swap the keyboard shortcut for:

Quit Safari to Cmd-Opt-Q
    Quit and Discard Windows to Cmd-Q

in System Preferences.

Probably won't cause any problems.

10. byron_hinson macrumors 6502

Anyone else got the same Safari issue as I have.

When browsing through pages (which is much faster in this GM) if I use my magic mouse to swipe back to a previous page - the page seems to lock and doesn't allow any clicks on links what so ever. I can open a new tab or a new window and it works fine, but that page still won't work. Irritating.

11. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Flash needs to be updated for Lion, that is the only thing that slows down Safari.

12. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

There's a Flash beta for Lion. Runs as good/bad for me as it always has.

13. looptrick macrumors newbie

Mhh i think i am carry on using chrome until Safari don´t have the option to ask where to download a file. Its so stupid that this is not possible...

14. haravikk macrumors 65816

You can set the default download location for a file, or you can right-click and choose "Download linked file as…", what more do you need?

15. kftrainer macrumors regular

kftrainer

Issue with Safari on Lion

I am having problems with starting Safari it crashes when loading. It get to the point of the Top Sites Home Page , I see the spinning beachball and then creashes , I did reboot computer but it is not working Any suggestions ?