Safari on MacMini stops working after 38 seconds

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ewen MacRumor, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Ewen MacRumor macrumors newbie

All of a sudden Safari started dying after 38 seconds of being open. That's not even long enough to download FireFox and the program is so birdbrained that if you close it, downloads don't continue (nor are you able to continue where you left off).

Why would this happen? I can more or less rule out a virus. I don't go to suspicious sites or open email attachments. Has this happened to anyone?

2. Ewen MacRumor thread starter macrumors newbie

By which I mean, it doesn't freeze. It just closes unceremoniously.

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

What version of Mac os are you running? Have you updated the safari software using software update? Can you check the disk permissions see if there are problems?

Do you have multiple accounts on the system? Does it do it in the other accounts?

4. Ewen MacRumor thread starter macrumors newbie

One account. This thing hasn't been updated in ages. It worked perfectly fine in its backward state up until yesterday. It's just a backup computer I inherited from someone else.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Are you using the trial version? :eek:

Seriously, just reinstall it from your Installer DVD. It's likely lost some resource it's dependent on. If that resolves it, then download the current version from Apple to be up to date. If that doesn't work, you might have to reinstall the OS. Bummer.

6. eldy macrumors 6502

You'll most likely need to reinstall. Paste the output of your system log or console here when Safari crashes.