Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
I compared Firefox, Safari, and IE, and I have to say, the fonts looked better in IE or FF way more than Safari.

Anyone else really bothered by this?

Seems like Safari is alpha more than beta.

Attachments

• safarix3.JPG
    safarix3.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 152

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
i vaguely remember someone else mentioning that in a blog I read, but the font is rendered differently, and I don't think it's because safari is alpha or beta or whatever.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
be glad you can see fonts at all, my safari is a blank slab of gray that is nonfunctional cus i cant even type and addy in:mad:

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Apple packed its own font hinting and all the stuff in there, because apple think windows users will like it.
safarivnetscapegb1.png

Anorak

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
The blog article on it was an interesting read. I read another article discussing the different philosophies that Apple and Microsoft have taken when it comes to font smoothing.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000884.html

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/06/12.html

The advantage of Microsoft's method is that it works better for on-screen reading.

The nice thing about the Apple algorithm is that you can lay out a page of text for print, and on screen, you get a nice approximation of the finished product.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I think it looks insanely ugly and illegible. I tried using Safari again now that 3.0.1 is out, but quickly quit. I just can't stand it, even aside from the fonts and how poorly it renders pages. The interface is horribly broken compared to Firefox or even Internet Explorer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.