Safari on windows fonts suck

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jayb2000, Jun 13, 2007.

1. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

I compared Firefox, Safari, and IE, and I have to say, the fonts looked better in IE or FF way more than Safari.

Anyone else really bothered by this?

Seems like Safari is alpha more than beta.

Attached Files:

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

i vaguely remember someone else mentioning that in a blog I read, but the font is rendered differently, and I don't think it's because safari is alpha or beta or whatever.

3. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

be glad you can see fonts at all, my safari is a blank slab of gray that is nonfunctional cus i cant even type and addy in:mad:

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Apple packed its own font hinting and all the stuff in there, because apple think windows users will like it.
    [​IMG]

5. Anorak macrumors regular

Anorak

The blog article on it was an interesting read. I read another article discussing the different philosophies that Apple and Microsoft have taken when it comes to font smoothing.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000884.html

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/06/12.html

The advantage of Microsoft's method is that it works better for on-screen reading.

The nice thing about the Apple algorithm is that you can lay out a page of text for print, and on screen, you get a nice approximation of the finished product.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'm not. I actually prefer the way Safari renders fonts over IE and FF.

7. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I think it looks insanely ugly and illegible. I tried using Safari again now that 3.0.1 is out, but quickly quit. I just can't stand it, even aside from the fonts and how poorly it renders pages. The interface is horribly broken compared to Firefox or even Internet Explorer.