Safari on Windows with corporate proxy

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GingerPrince, Feb 26, 2009.

1. GingerPrince macrumors member

Hi,

ok, so. I'm behind a corporate proxy that I have no control over.

firefox + IE play nice with the proxy. safari does not. safari uses the same settings as IE but for some reason doesn't pass through the user/password + so my account keeps getting locked out.

For the record: There is no problem with the proxy. There is no problem with my account at the proxy. Safari uses the IE settings and IE works fine with the proxy. The problem is Safari.

anybody know a way round this problem?

cheers,
    Matt

2. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Not sure. You may want to try to open (and leave open) IE first, then try Safari. That may trick the proxy but I doubt it. Other than that, Apple's going to have to fix it/add that function to the next browser update.

3. GingerPrince thread starter macrumors member

tried that but it didn't work.

Safari has always done this on windows, it's not peculiar to Safari 4.

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

do you know if the proxy allows safari?

try changing your user agent to IE to check.

5. mati0000 macrumors member

mati0000

safari 4 with proxy

Hi, someone knows if safari 4, or Safari beta manages proxy settings by his own and not from IE?

Thx.

6. dazza71 Guest

I have this exact same problem. I'm using Safari 3 and every time I open it, it causes my AD account to lock. Strangely I can still access Internet sites via Firefox but not IE or Safari. It's a real nuisance as I'm web developer so have to test sites in various browsers using this PC on our network. Surely there's a fix for this??!

7. engelstang macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I found this on

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9587959�

Here is the fixed and it worked for me:

Deleted the keychain.plist file under c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Apple Computer\Preferences. The next time you opened Safari, it prompted for a Username & Password to the proxy.