Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dancliffordctfc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2020
I have a 16 inch MacBook Pro and Safari will randomly open at start up and all the settings like open at login are turned off and I do not have any login items. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Hmm. If "System Preferences > General > Close windows when quitting an app" is checked, and Login Items is empty, and "Reopen windows when logging back in" is unchecked when you restart or shut down, then I'd start to wonder about the possibility of either malware or some kind of helper application I might have installed without thinking about it.

Have you tried opening Activity Monitor right after starting up, noting anything unusual in the Process Name list, and looking that up online? (Lots of processes with unfamiliar names belong to macOS, but maybe there's something there…?)

Reactions: tranceking26

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
^^^This, first paragraph. Check those settings.

That said, there are some threads for Catalina about apps starting on their own at startup, even with everything setup correctly. Have had it happen to me from time to time. Probable bug.

Reactions: tranceking26

sojer2005

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2007
Yes, it is a generally annoying bug.
Apple is certainly aware of this bug, but for some reason they have not yet corrected it. I think it's a matter of time and will be resolved by upcoming update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.