safari or firefox 3?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marcel-v, Jun 28, 2008.

1. marcel-v macrumors regular

arguements for and against?

which is quicker and safer?

2. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I too just couldn't find anything about FF3 that made it seem better than Safari to me, at least nothing that would make me want to get used to another web browser. And when I ran them side by side, Safari felt a lot faster.

4. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I'm also seriously considering switching back to using Safari from FF3.

5. aosman macrumors 6502

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Who cares which one is truly faster? I would rather use Safari because it's "built" for OS X and it's part of the system structure. QT and Flash media work on Safari but not always on FF. Apple gives more functionality in Safari such as reading PDF's from the web and the web clippings and more..

Firefox 3 is nice but it's alternative browser and not to be a replacement for Safari. The iPhone and MobileMe will prove this soon.

7. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

The additional functionality Apple gives Safari (i.e., Inline PDF reading and etc.) can be achieved with Firefox and its ever increasing array of extensions. I still prefer Safari due to the fact that I got used to it first and that it "looks" more integrated into OS X. And about speed, I could care less too. They all seem the same to me.

However, in my opinion, I think Camino is much better than Firefox on OS X. It's built for OS X and it's from the Mozilla people. For Windows, Firefox wins hands down.

8. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I use them both randomly and I love them both.

9. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i like firefox i think it seems faster than safari and atleast firefox has a Home button but thats me and i know it runs faster than safari well for me and it could all be on ur internet and signal your getting

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

why dont you goto your application folder and check the size for yourself? lol.
    why jump up and making strange statement anyway....:p

OP's question, try for yourself. nobody's experience gonna replace your own.

If you dont know firefox 3, check my signature.

11. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

Safari does have a home button, mine does, not sure if I had to add it.
    You can add it by clicking View, Customise Toolbar.

I choose Safari, I prefer the way it handles RSS.

12. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Firefox 3 is neither bloated nor slow in comparison to Safari.

The only advantage Safari offers me personally is that it is a Cocoa app. Aside from that FF3 and it's extensions make it a no-brainer winner for me. FF3 is my default browser. But hey, it's all a matter of personal preference and there is no right or wrong choice. :p

Firefox takes a few more seconds to launch initially than Safari but in regular usage, depending on the extensions you use, FF3 can actually be faster. My Mac is almost always on so the slower initial start time (by a few seconds) is a moot issue.

13. dailyrorschach macrumors newbie

if you do use firefox 3, I recommend takebacktheweb.org GrApple themes, which give it an appropriate Cocoa feel and window shading behavior. As well as the quartz pdf plugin, google it, to do inline pdf viewing ala safari.

14. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I have Safari, Firefox, Camino, and Opera installed on my MacBook. I used all of them, maybe not at the same time, but I use them. Each of them seems to be suited for particular tasks. For examples, when I need to visit a site that is heavily loaded with Flash ads, I use Camino for its built-in Flash ad blocker.

And when I need to pick up seats on plane for my wife and I, I open two different browsers because it seems to be the only way to do it.

Personally, I think choosing to exclusively use one browser does not make sense. I don't have to pay for any of them, so why not use more than one. Safari has some problems with some of the sites I go to, whereas FireFox/Camino will open them fine. E-mail programs on the other hand are a different story.

15. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I use Firefox and have been very happy with the version 3 update. It seems to scroll much smoother and works very well.

16. enpojken macrumors member

i would use safari in a second if not for certain extensions: PicLens, Delicious and AdBlock.

for now i keep switching between them, usually with both open.

17. !on macrumors member

much prefer FF3 to safari as it's what i'm used to, started with safari (this laptop) did not like it, installed FF. now just waiting for some of my favourite themes to catch up.

18. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I much prefer FixeFox, but version 3 crashed three times in as many days. I dumped it and went back to Version 2 .. all is peacefull again .. :)

19. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

firefox, hell no

SAFARI BITCHS!!!!!
    lol its funny when there are pc users thats fav apps are safari and itunes

20. ArthurDaley macrumors regular

I've got sick of FF3 crashing on my fairly new MBP. So I am back to using FF2.

21. !on macrumors member

:eek: well i'll watch out for that... been using FF3 for a week no problem so far... guess i'll have to look at safari again see what it offers. but i like FF themes & toolbar customize options :)

22. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I've been using Safari ever since I started using OS X a few years ago. I can't find a reason for myself to switch to FF because Safari works great for me. However, when using Windows I use FF.

23. G-Com macrumors regular

Firefox 3. I like its tabbed browsing better.

24. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I prefer Firefox to Safari, only because of the cool add-ons Firefox has, and the fact that the Firefox developers officially allow their use.

That said, I wonder why other browsers don't have Safari's "Private Browsing" feature.

25. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

new profile
    is strongly recommended, ver 2 to ver 3 is a big change, profile corruption might happen.