Safari or Firefox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tomo111, Nov 2, 2007.

1. tomo111 macrumors newbie

sorry dont know if this is the correct area for this? ... but,

I have just ordered a new macbook and although I havent got it yet I was wondering what people prefer out of firefox and safari? I know this is a mac forum and so most people may be safari inclinded, although I have noticed may people running firefox on OS X, thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There're quite a few of these threads about. The conclusion generally seems to be down to the user. Thankfully both browsers are free, so you're able to try them both out at your own discretion. :)

3. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I personally use Firefox, but either one gets the job done nicely.

4. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Was using Firefox but since upgrading to Leopard I really like Safari 3. Does need some kind of ad-blocking plugin though, atm I'm just using adsubtract.css

5. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

If you don't need all of the Firefox extensions (most of them are crap if you ask me) then Safari is awesome. With Safari 3 there's no need for Camino, but that's another one you might want to try out.

6. reubs macrumors 68000

Firefox is the only Windows app I still use from my PC days. I've got it skinned to look just like Safari, and I have a few other extensions on it to do the same thing (address bar/status bar) Safari does.

I just can't really start digging Safari. Not a knock on it; it's just not for me right now. As for my PC machine, it's just bizarre running Safari on that.

7. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

Using Firefox almost exclusively, atm. I don't like Safari's bookmarking protocol, which is the primary thing that is keeping me from using it. Also, I find setting up the tabs confusing in Safari. It's not as intuitive as FF, IMO.

8. royalgfx1 macrumors member

Camino.

I have Safari 3, Camino and Firefox all on my Macbook.

I use Safari only for the Widget Capture function.

I use Firefox at my University because it requires some weird proxy settings.

I use Camino at home for everything. In fact, I'm using it right now.

9. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Use Opera, it comes with just about everything you will ever need included, and there is no need to muck about optimized builds or look for extensions!

10. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

I like to save RSS feeds in one bookmark folder in my Bookmarks Bar. I like the feeds badge so I can tell at a glance how many articles are unread.

I know there are lots of other RSS options but I really like how Safari handles RSS feeds, especially because of the amount of time I spend with Safari.

edit: I do miss Adblock on Firefox

11. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Of those I prefer Safari.
    But I don't use any of those as my primary web browser. :p

12. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

13. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

Safari all the way. It syncs wonderfully with .Mac (and my other Macs) and my iPhone. With Saft and Inquisitor installed, it's wonderful. So glad both of them work with Leopard now. Safari is also the only browser with color management built-in.

14. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

I prefer Safari because of the integration with all the other included OS X Apps. In fact, I use all the included apps (Mail, Address Book, iCal and iChat) for this reason

15. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

16. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

A three year Firefox user on Macs, I've just switched to Safari with my Leopard upgrade. It is snappier, as others are reporting. Plus, I'd been having some problems with Firefox freezing up. Safari is nice and clean.

17. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Safari with Inquisitor...the plugin that made me switch...

Now I can't stand FF...

18. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

If you have leopard, give Safari a chance, I had my problems with it in the past (cough cough.. memory leaks) but Safari 3.0.4 is a great browser. Much faster (so fast!) and more fully featured than Firefox. The only issue I see with it is the inability to add extensions.

19. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

I have tried Firefox, and it is pretty good . . . but no better than Safari from the wider perspective.

I use Safari because it is deliberately and precisely integrated with Leopard by Apple . . . . and, I suspect, less likely to be left behind by future changes in the Mac OS. In the long run, I suspect that Safari will be less of a hassle in an already complex system.

Just my humble 2 cents.

20. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There are some, I recommend SafariStand and Inquisitor...both Leopard ready...

21. wellmac macrumors member

Depends if you run other OS apart from OS X. The cross-platfrom nature of Firefox makes it invaluable for me. I can share the same bookmarks etc in Windows, Linux and Mac OS.

22. eyup macrumors regular

eyup

Firefox RSS feed tab in Safari ?

The great thing about Firefox is that live RSS feed when you put them in the toolbar.
    Does anyone know of a plug in that can do the same in Safari as RSS is crap in it me thinks...

23. 1020 macrumors regular

I don't like Firefox on OSX. Camino is my favorite browser by far. I've used Safari, Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, Lynx and god knows what else, and I'm sticking with Camino. It lacks the plugins Firefox has, but I'd definitely recommend it over any other browser. Try it, you might like it.

24. tomo111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help :), I havnt got my MB yet but its due tuesday, once I get it I think il try out Camino. Hadnt heard of it before but checked it out and looks good.

25. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

A few months ago it replaced FF as my secondary browser (DivX crashed Safari sometimes so I needed another browser)