Safari or Firefox?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PhaserFuzz, Feb 23, 2008.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

Just got my Mac and I'm wondering what the best web browser for it is? Thanks for any advice! :D

2. stevegmu macrumors regular

Safari is faster, but many recent converts seem to like Firefox, because of the plug-ins available.

3. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

They're both good. They're both fast, and with their new incarnations (Safari 3.1 and Firefox 3, neither of which are finalized yet), both promise to get much faster. I used to use Firefox, but since upgrading to Leopard, I went back to Safari because I prefer its integration, simplicity, and it feels faster to me (although many will also say Firefox is faster). Try them both out. The best selling point of Firefox is its many add-ons and themes, etc., if you like that.

4. McGiord, Feb 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

It will depend on the websites you navigate to, for some I found better Firefox, however both are free, so why don't you give them a try and the decide on you own, you will not loose anything.
    The Bookmarks can be copied.
    ________
    no2 vaporizer reviews

5. martychang macrumors regular

Safari feels slow to me, but you seem to get different reports no matter who is using what browser in terms of speed. I find Firefox faster, though I don't really like or want add-ons: the basic Firefox functionality is pretty good though, better than Safari.

If you want more "OS integration" Camino is a compromise, and feels even a bit faster than Firefox while being otherwise similar to Safari.

Personally, I've taken a liking to Opera. I find it sad how little this browser is mentioned, everyone should try it out at least once. It's the fastest in my experience, Speed Dial is great, and has lots of customizability right away. It even has a built in Bittorrent client which is blazingly fast from what little I've used it for.

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Safari for me.

Please use the search function next time, there's countless posts on this topic.

Thanks. :)

7. Fiasco macrumors regular

Fiasco

I use Safari mainly, and Firefox for a few specific sites.

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i recommend Safari. i use Safari because its lightweight, looks good, its the fastest for me & integrates with Mac OS X seamlessly. i also have Firefox for sites that dont work with Safari.

also Saft is a must have plugin for Safari with its extra options and Safari also has a very good alblocker aptly named Safari Adblock.

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If you're having difficultly selecting your main browser simply install Firefox and use both. This way you personally get a feel for which browser fits you best.

10. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

search this forum for "safari+firefox" will give you numerous very good discussions.

try them both.

Even better, try firefox 3 beta 3 (or better, nightly) and webkit nightly.

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

I prefer Firefox over Safari but that because I have extensions that I have become accustomed to and use every day. If Safari had extension support then I might think about switching. Yesterday I downloaded Firefox 3b3 and to check it out. It did have a lot of changes that I liked but lots of extensions do not have support for it yet.

13. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

agreed, brand - I used FF3.0 Beta for several months, and loved it but then went back to 2.0 for the extensions, as most do not work on the 3.0 version. NoScript is an amazing add-on and one of few compatible with 3.0.

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

My impression is that the extension updating progress is coming along nicely for firefox 3.

The extensions I m using now are just adblock+, FireGestures.

15. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i don't have any firefox extensions, i had been using it since my old pc and downloaded it on my mac right away. i tried safari, but to me, fire fox just seemed faster and a little bit easier to do what i needed.

16. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

17. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Try both I like Safari best However Firefox 3 has impressed me I still like safari better. It's a little faster on somethings and I like how it's integrated into the OS.

18. caseyo macrumors newbie

I like Safari. Honestly, I don't see any difference in speed from Firefox. I use Safari because the Find (Command-F) search feature is REALLY great, and I use it a lot.

19. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

firefox. Tab Mix Plus is a plugin which I can't live without. Also, if you change a few settings in the about:config panel of firefox, you can speed it up so it is noticeably faster than safari. Search "speed up firefox" in these forums. Also, ff3b3 is faster than either safari or ff2.

20. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I use both and over time have been using safari more than firefox. From time to time I have problems with firefox slowing way down after and long secession of use then all the sudden it will hang up and I have to force close it and clean everything out and it's back to new again. On my system Safari has been more stable.

Remember that when a question gets asked over and over again it is a pretty important question and lots of people want to know about it. If you don't want to help them then don't read it.

21. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

Firefox all the way for me.

I find it much more customizable through addons and such.

22. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i find myself using safari more and more. the beachball-loving FF drives me nuts at times, and recently it has decided to not play some flash clips. :mad:

edit: also, am i the only one that would have 30+ tabs open? after a while FF just becomes painfully sluggish, and the temp of the CPU will increase by 5 ºC or more.

23. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

I have both and I prefer Safari. When I save web link to my desktop in Firefox I always get two folders. Safari only has one. I do not know how to change this. Any thoughts? MC

24. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

try firefox 3 beta+ a new profile

I normally have 3~6 tabs open, sometimes 15 at peak.

5 degree increase of cpu temperature is as normal as can be tho.