Safari+other questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sean1218, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Sean1218 macrumors member

New to mac & I have a few questions.

1. Is the one second delay on system sounds normal? Ex: the 'poof' when dragging an app off the dock.

2. I ordered the mac a week ago, yet an app I downloaded says my mbp is 22 weeks old. Is this at all possible or something I should be concerned about?

3. In safari, is it possible to set up shortcuts like you can in chrome? For example, make it so when I type 'r' then press space, it'll add whatever I type next to the end of www.reddit.com/r/ or if I type w then space, it'll search wikipedia.

4. If I hate Word on Windows, should I avoid the mac version and just go with Pages, Bean or LibreOffice?

5. On a MacBook Pro, does leaving the power plugged in when using it have any long-term adverse effects on the battery? Or is the battery just completely inactive when the power source is in?

6. Which notes app? Wunderlist, Evernote, Things etc. they're all so similar.

7. Lastly, why is it so difficult to right click using the touchpad? It seems half the time it just registers a single click instead.

Thanks!

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

1. Explain more, not sure what kind of a delay you are talking about

2. Which app is saying this? I mean if its from apple and a new computer with new specs then it is new, there's nothing to worry about there.

3. I'm not sure if you can create shortcuts, but I know that if you want to type in addresses quicker you can hit Cmd+L and it will replace whatever is in the address bar with what you are typing. Cmd+Option+F brings you to the google search bar if you need to search on google. Here's a list of 10 safari shortcuts that are going to be useful if you choose to use safari. If you can't find a way to do this, I would just go back to using chrome, no need to switch browsers if you like certain features..

4. Well Word on a Mac is not exactly the same as word on windows, but it is similar. The UI is mostly different but the basic functionality of the program is the same. I use word to avoid compatibility issues but if you want something different then I would go with Pages. You can still make word compatible documents if you need to, personally I like Word for Mac better than the windows version, but that's just me.

5. I had my macbook for 3 years before I recently sold it, and left it plugged in whenever I was in the house. It had no adverse affect on the battery, in fact when I sold it the battery's health was at 92% with almost 500 load cycles, so you should be fine leaving it plugged in. It will help to calibrate it every once and a while, but MacBooks do a good job with power management and not burning up the batteries.

6. You'll have to wait for someone else's input on this one, I don't use any of them (I use the notebook feature in Word 2011) but I've heard good things about Wunderlist.

7. How do you have the trackpad set to right click? Don't use the right click corner thing, just click with two fingers on the trackpad and it will right click, this is the easiest way and once you get used to it its very natural. Now when i go to other PC laptops I'm trying to scroll with two fingers and right click with two fingers, I love my macbook trackpad :)

3. Sean1218 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response.

1. Basically, whenever I do anything that makes a sound like dragging an app off the dock or downloading a new app, it takes about a second for the associated sound to play. In the example I mentioned, there's a poof sound when you drag an app off the dock; instead of being in sync with the action, the sound plays late.

2. It's coconutBattery; I just thought it was odd.

7. I just right click by clicking with two fingers like you mentioned. But like I said it just doesn't work sometimes. I find if I put pressure on the entire trackpad for a second or two, it'll work great for a few hours, but then it's back to being sort of inconsistent.

4. imusi macrumors newbie

I tried several times on my mac and the "poof" sound plays as soon as I release the mouse button. Say, when I press the left mouse button and drag it off, no sound plays until I release my mouse button.

5. imusi macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if there's something wrong with your trackpad 'cause right click by clicking with 2 fingers works fine on my macbook and also my friends'. Did you check the box in front of "clicking" ?
    [​IMG]

If this still bother you, try "control - single finger clicking". That's: press the "control" on your keyboard and hold (don't release) and then click with single finger.

6. Sean1218 thread starter macrumors member

I think the audio thing might have something to do with headphones. It's like my headphones power off when I don't use sound, then when the first sound plays, it takes a second to come back on, hence the delay. After the delay, if I just keep making the same sound, I realize now it's instant.

As for the trackpad, I'm pretty convinced there's something wrong here. I'd rather not do tap to click also, since on Lion, you can't do double tap to right click without single tap to left click, and I'm always doing that on accident.

I just tried to right ciick a link ~30 times in a row, all on different spots in my keyboard (and at different speeds etc.), and it just flat out didn't work a single time, and instead simply opens the link each time. Then it starts working fairly randomly, or after placing pressure on the trackpad.

I'm under warranty (no AppleCare), but I can still go into an apple store and have it replaced can't I? This is too frustrating for me to deal with.

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

If you are under warranty go explain the problem, you probably have a faulty trackpad, they will replace it for free

8. Sean1218, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

Sean1218 thread starter macrumors member

What if for some reason I can't replicate the problem? It seems to come and go. I've gone an hour without having it before.

Also, does anyone know if I need some sort of proof of purchase or can they just check the serial number and see it's on warranty still?

9. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

They can check the serial number for warranty. And I would just go and explain the situation, even if you can't replicate it, they should be able to do something to help.

10. Sean1218 thread starter macrumors member

Alright, thanks for all the help. I'll bring it in sometime next week.