Safari page reloads in iOS 4.2 BETA v3...?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gatearray, Oct 14, 2010.

1. gatearray macrumors 65816

Any comments on Safari in BETA3?

So far in my informal testing, it seems like the best ever— I currently have six pages open, and can freely switch between them without any reloading, and half of them are complex pages with images, etc. I even exited the app and switched over to another, came back and no reloads, either.

I even just switched around pages with this post typed but not submitted, and no page reloads and I didn't lose what I'm writing. Had changed the orientation to landscape to type, and although I saw the thumbnails re-render, the pages opened fine without any reloading... Impressive over here, so far.

Sometimes this can be a fluke on a new restore, so I'm curious as to what everyone else on BETA3 are experiencing.

2. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

The way I read your title made me think the opposite; that pages were still reloading for you.

I'm glad this feature is finally implemented. Saves me a ton of headaches!

3. gatearray thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry, my title is meant to be more of a topic of conversation— the jury is still out over here as I just discovered what seems to be an improvement and wondered if others could share their experience thus far.

A dot-dot-dot question mark has been added. :)

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

Feel free to open a different app, and then go back and watch how Safari goes back to being a big pile of suck on the iPad. Roll on iPad 2 with at least 512MB, please!

5. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

While I wouldn't consider safari one the ipad a "big pile of suck"...It does still refresh the same as it has in previous betas. Its alot improved from what it was in 3.2...., but it cannot get around the lack of ram.

6. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Don't mind him. WilliamG is a serial complainer. :) He was just being himself. If the iPad is sooooooooooooo terrible, why still suffer with it. Get one of those new fangled Windows Tablets. Oh, yeah. There are none currently. Anyway, we will see what the next iPad offers.

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I've had a better experience in Beta 3 also. Haven't noticed any random reloading since I updated either.

8. lozpop macrumors 6502

I've done a couple of tests:

- Having Mail and Safari opened and running in multitasking, I am able to open up to 9 web pages without seeing reloads! Nine pages! Pretty awesome. Obviously it depends on the websites.

- Having some apps opened, trying to simulate a classic daily usage, web pages reloaded ONLY after I played a game — I tried Epic Citadel and Angry Birds.
    But if I use graphic application like for example TypeDrawing and Sketchbook pro, and switching between Google Maps, Videos and other.. I don't see any webpage refresh.

Pretty awesome. Apple really did a good job about system resources management.

9. lozpop macrumors 6502

Switching between apps, when I return to Safari, webpages reload only if I played a game.

I can have Safari, Mail, Google Maps, Videos and YouTube running in multitasking without seeing webpages refreshing.

It obviously depends on the usage, and the iPad obviously need a hardware speed bump, but i think Apple did a really good job with 4.2 for iPad.

10. andrewb21 macrumors member

Bummer. I was excited to think that my Safari reloading days were behind me with beta 3. I had good results at first but in the past few days Safari has been reloading pages pretty frequently. Even after I restart it, and with only two or three pages open it will refresh if I don't switch back to the intended page frequently.

I wonder what changed?

11. JulianL macrumors 65816

Maybe it's a minor memory leak somewhere else in iOS so that there is less available RAM for Safari to work with when it is running. If this is the case then it's probably no big deal because it's just the sort of thing that beta testing is supposed to find and would, I hope, be fixed before final release.

- Julian

12. lozpop macrumors 6502

I'm still having a good experience. I never see pages refreshing.
    But consider that:

- I always manage the apps in the background very precisely. I hate having 4-5 apps running at the same time, also because I have no need to multitask that way. So I guess I manage resources in a better way than others that leave tons of apps in the background.

- I don't need to open more than three pages at time. I'm really focused on what I'm doing, so I don't open pages and pages just to do it.

Anyway, I've done a heavier test than my daily usage:
    I've opened almost all the Apple apps — which all support multitasking —, switched between them quickly and without a problem, and Safari didn't reload any of the four pages I've opened.

So, for my usage this is very good, but this doesn't exclude the fact that the iPad need a more powerful hardware. I really dream a 1GHz dual with 1GB RAM.