Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skandocious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
If I open multiple pages in safari and then switch between them, they reload on every page switch. Sometimes I'll get a lucky and a page won't reload, but more often than not it will reload even if the thumbnail image shows that's it fully loaded. On my iPhone the pages will stay loaded until I actually close safari and open it back up, at which point they will all reload.

I've also noticed that safari does not run in the background very long, unlike my iPhone which will keep safari running until it needs the extra ram that safari is using. If I go back home and open the App Store to look at something then come back to safari, it has to restart and all of my tabs have to get reloaded.

Is everyone else experiencing this same behavior? I find it pretty strange that apple implemented it this way on such a powerful device.

Skandocious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
It's due to the RAM. At only 256MB, it can't render too many web pages at once.

Well, iPhone also has 256mb of RAM, but it doesn't reload pages constantly.
Yeah you would think that 256mb would be plenty. It's MORE than enough on my 3GS. But ive got several pages open and I just checked Pad Info and it says 16mb of free ram :mad:

Then again-- I just looked again and according to pad info this device only has 128mb... Did the developer screw up his math or did apple pull a fast one on us?

ayasinsk

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
The iPad has 512mb ram, it has been confirmed when the ipad was disassembled by ifixit.com. But regarding pages reloading all the time it does that if you have more then 2 pages loaded, same with iPhone, very annoying.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
The iPad has 512mb ram, it has been confirmed when the ipad was disassembled by ifixit.com. But regarding pages reloading all the time it does that if you have more then 2 pages loaded, same with iPhone, very annoying.

iFixit corrected their page, the iPad has 256mb of RAM.

colourtheatre

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
I've seen my iPhone 3gs load 8 safari tabs with no reloading. so many people complaining about the iPad ram is making me awfully worried now:S

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Yea I find that very annoying as well.

What if I see something on a page and want to "save" it for later to show to someone? If it refreshes, then the content could be lost (say its a news site). Very stupid.

Also, I hate how it always defaults to the top of a webpage, especially on the forums. On the desktop, if I refresh, it takes me to the last post I saw...usually toward the bottom if its a long post. With the iPad, I have to scroll all the way to the bottom everytime.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Two comments

1st
I have the same thing happening and this is going to kill ATT network when the 3G iPad comes out.

2nd
Why does Safari on my Mac reload the entire webpages when it's taking up hundreds of megs in ram and over a GB in virtual memory. Never understood modern web browsers. Remember back when you could easily find 2 day old jpegs in the cache folder in os 7.5

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Why does Safari on my Mac reload the entire webpages when it's taking up hundreds of megs in ram and over a GB in virtual memory. Never understood modern web browsers. Remember back when you could easily find 2 day old jpegs in the cache folder in os 7.5

The short answer is that the web is much more dynamic and complicated than it was back then. A lot of content is generated dynamically and harder to cache, and the use of content distribution networks means that URLs to the "same" content can change across page refreshes.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
The short answer is that the web is much more dynamic and complicated than it was back then. A lot of content is generated dynamically and harder to cache, and the use of content distribution networks means that URLs to the "same" content can change across page refreshes.

Atomic Web does not reload pages on the ipad, it has real tabs and they do not reload...Apple needs to fix this with Safari, I think.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Yea I find that very annoying as well.

What if I see something on a page and want to "save" it for later to show to someone? If it refreshes, then the content could be lost (say its a news site). Very stupid.

Also, I hate how it always defaults to the top of a webpage, especially on the forums. On the desktop, if I refresh, it takes me to the last post I saw...usually toward the bottom if its a long post. With the iPad, I have to scroll all the way to the bottom everytime.

Not to worry. You can not save it from the browser anyways :D

2jzgze

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
doug in albq said:
Atomic Web does not reload pages on the ipad, it has real tabs and they do not reload...Apple needs to fix this with Safari, I think.

Werd! You guys should go dl the atomic browser. This thread will be obsolete. :)

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
So, if a third party can write a web browser that has tabs that don't reload. Then is it some kind of weird design, or simply a bug which will get fixed eventually -- the latter I hope.

peestandingup

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2006
It's a bug that hasn't become official yet. Happens to me too at times, even with just one tab open. The loading icon never goes away, even when the page finishes loading.

The only way I've found to fix it os to restart the iPad.

BlackJacques

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
An annoyance for sure. I find I can usually run two tabs without any reloading, sometimes three. Using one of the tabs to watch embedded video or clicking to deep into a website will cause other tabs to reload when switching back. When that happens, I usually kill Safari the tried and true way, by holding the Sleep button down until the "turn off" screen appears, then hold down the Home button until Safari is killed. I find that obviously much faster than re-booting the iPad and just as effective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.