Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dubyadubya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2020
I moved to a new Mac, and one of the accounts didn't bring its saved passwords with it after a Time Machine restore. I think it is because the new password (all except mine were reset) doesn't match the old one. There's a ~/Library/Keychains/login_renamed_1.keychain-db from about the time of the switch that unlocks with the old password, but has "safari session key" or something and not the passwords directly. Is there a way to recover?

Or Plan B, is there an easy way to create a temporary user from the Time Machine backup from a month or so ago?

dubyadubya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2020
Plan B didn't work at all :(

Restoring doesn't seem to restore whatever auto-completes Safari has stored. On the old computer, Safari just remembered his username and password for a particular site (Prodigy) across logouts or reboots, but this information doesn't seem to migrate.

And I can't even figure out where Safari would store this information. It doesn't seem to be in Keychain, though there is a "Safari Session State Key". /Library/Safari exists but can't be accessed at all. Maybe this is a SIP thing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.